3.0 out of 5 stars Expected too much?, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera with 24-85mm Lens Kit (24.3MP) 3.2 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I used to be a pro photographer so I know my way round cameras.
I really wanted to love the D600. I have had a D300 for 4 years and been very happy with it. I decided it was time for an upgrade, only amateur shooting now.
Looked at the D800 but decided against it amongst other things for the very large files.
When the D600 came out, I thought this had to be for me. I bought it in October with the 24-85 kit lens.
Initial impressions were good. Lighter than the D300 and smaller. Ergonomically good. Exposure meter a big improvement. noticeably better dynamic range and fantastic low light capability.
But and this is the big but, on my Apple 27 inch monitor there was very little improvement in detail level when viewed at full screen, approximately 18inches x 12 inches. If you increased magnification to 1:1 then it was possible to see an improvement in detail, but I wouldn't normally view at this magnification unless I needed to examine something very closely.

The next disappointment was the focussing area, transported from the D7000 but on full frame, results in a much smaller area. Not a problem for single point centre focusing but when the dynamic auto tracking is used the subject can quickly leave the focus area.
The lock button added to the mode dial proved to be a pain. Added apparently because of the complaints over the same dial on the D7000 being a little easy to nudge accidentally.

After 3 weeks I was beginning to wonder if I had made the right decision when my camera developed dust marks on the sensor, many people have had this problem.
I decided to return it for a refund.
A couple of weeks later I bought the D7000 body which the D600 is taken from in many ways. I am happy, no lock on the mode dial, same focussing system with sensible focus area, exposure meter gives very similar results to the D600. I don't have to replace 4 DX Nikon lenses with FX. OK, low light performance is not as good but is lot better than the D300.

I think the D600 could have been and maybe will when updated be the perfect entry into full frame but Nikon need to cure the dust problem that many people have complained about and provide a sensible focus area to match the larger sensor and ideally lose the lock button which is not needed on the D7000

Don't get me wrong this is a terrific camera but when moving up from a DX body it is a lot more expensive especially when you add in the considerable cost of replacing most of your lenses. You really want to be wowed by the results and not have niggles about features that may become real nuisances when the honeymoon period wears off.

Finally, if you are like me and getting conscious of the weight you lug around in your camera bag, bear in mind that although the D600 is Nikon's smallest and lightest full frame camera, in the main, FX lenses are considerably larger and heavier than DX lenses. So the weight improvement quickly gets cancelled out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Jan 2013 22:19:45 GMT
KC O'Brian says:
Thank you for that information I'm looking at purchasing D7000/600 myself, and since the bad publicity at the moment ie dust spots d600 and back focusing issues etc D7000, decided to hold off for now and switched my thoughts over to the D700, Have you had any issues with focusing on your D7000
regards
Kevin

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 09:03:36 GMT
RobC says:
So your main complaint is that the D600 is not a DX format camera?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2013 13:47:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jan 2013 13:49:55 GMT
tsbl2000 says:
Reply to KC O'Brian: A good second hand D700 is a super camera. I have this after upgrading from a D90. Excellent low light and image quality performance but it is quite heavy and also no video (not a problem for me). You need good (expensive and heavy!) glass to see the best and, yes it is prone to dust I'm afraid, so be careful where you change lenses. At £50+ for a sensor clean this is a major consideration and dust spots seem much more susceptible on the D700 than D90 or my old Olympus E520. Overall though, I love my D700 and processing software has taken care of the dust spots where visible. Re backfocussing issues, the D700 allows you to fine tune your lenses and this has dramatically improved sharpness. You only need to do this once as the camera will save your adjustments but it is well worth doing.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2013 21:28:28 GMT
Yes, I have had some. But, I wonder now how much my searching for focussing issues were influenced by what I had read on the internet. The D7000 along with many Nikon current models has AF fine tune. I adjusted some of my lenses with this facility and I am happy with the results. My old D300 had AF fine tune also which I never used. Interestingly after fine tuning on the D7000 and comparing with the D300 I can see that the D300 was never spot on. I wonder if the real problem is how hard you are looking for a problem. On my 27 inch monitor all my lenses used with the D7000 now look fine.

Posted on 4 Feb 2013 14:48:17 GMT
I have a feeling that to get the best out of a 24 megapixel sensor requires rather more than a kit lens - in fact it probably needs a prime lens.
Another point is that computer screens have a resolution of 72 d.p.i. (the Mac. may be up to 90 dpi) so I wonder if there's much mileage in trying to do resolution comparisons just on a computer?

Posted on 24 Feb 2013 06:37:17 GMT
EricD says:
Apple 27" Thunderbolt monitor - 2560x1440 pixels
So you bought a 24.3 Mp camera hoping it would improve detail level on your 3.7 Mp display !

"Expected too much?"
No - you expected too little !
A D40 with kit lens would be plenty for that.

Doh !