3.0 out of 5 stars Joyless, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Past [DVD] (DVD)
This film has had excellent reviews but I cannot join the throng of gushers I'm afraid? The storyline was fine and the emotions of the scenario totally accurate. The acting was first class. Unfortunately, for me this was one of the longer 140 minutes of my cinematic life.
I found the whole episode such a depressing spectacle, the relationships were always slightly tense, sometimes they got strained, most of the time they were overly stretched. There seemed so little to enjoy? Even the children were miserable most of the time! Not exactly a bundle of laughs then?
There's nothing wrong with a serious content, having been divorced with children myself and then being in a new relationship where there were children from both sides, I am well aware of the problems and feelings that exit. I could relate to the film better than some I would say. However for me this is not an entertainment that I particularly enjoyed. Yes, it was very well portrayed, so full marks for that, but it was an endurance for art's sake as far as I was concerned.
The film's centre is all about doubts, conundrums, and unravelling the so-called truth or half-truths. Insecurities and tensions abound. Fine, but the film is joyless and unfortunately for that reason, not for me. Sorry folks.
I

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jun 2014 14:24:53 BDT
T. Mantripp says:
It isn't meant to be a comedy. I thought the script, the direction and the acting magnificent, this in not merely a 5 star film but one of the greatest films ever made. I am sorry you do not feel the same.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2014 10:37:54 BDT
Thespionic says:
T Mantripp - I fully understand your views and accept that many enjoyed this film . I was only being honest with my own view. Personally, I like to be entertained if I go to the flicks, theatre, concert, the football or cricket. Would I like to watch two films of this nature, one after the other - no! I was not saying it was a poor film. I think I have endorsed many things that you have mentioned in your liking if this film. I'm glad that you really enjoyed it. We look for different things in our entertainment that's all!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (22 customer reviews)

£15.99 £7.29