5.0 out of 5 stars Martina has got it back!!, 16 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Family (Hardcover)
I always buy Martinas books on the day they come out- and I must say the last 3 have been disappointing to say the least and I have sworn in my reviews I wont purchase another but I still do - and boy am I glad I did!

Theres the old Martina back in this book! I related to the characters in a way I havent been able to do for ages. Basically its the story of a man called Phil - hes unable to feel any real emotions but he pretends and his whole life is a show, apart from the love for his wife Christine who he worships! Christine feels the same about Phil, not knowing the other side of his gangster life, until one night she walks in and hes beating up his own sister! To say Christine is shocked is an understatement but that nights events creates the whole book. Christine has to resort to drinking and drugs in order to cope with her nerves and the man she is living with. Philip is unable to see that he is the reason she is downspiralling and the reason she is so addicted to the drink and drugs.

Christine and Philip have two sons Philly and Timmy, both brought up with the best lifestyle money can buy but with a control freak dad and a mom who is obliterated all the time really shows as they get older!

Thats all I am going to say about this as I dont want to give anything away, but bascially something major happens and Christine finds herself catapulted into Philips world and a lot of hearts will be broken!

I really would recommend this book, I really really enjoyed it and I am a die hard Martina fan who has been trying every other author who writes in the same style but Martina has redeeme herself and really think any other die hard fans will enjoy this - give it a go you may be surprised!!!!!!!!!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Oct 2010 17:02:34 BDT
bookworm18 says:
I agree with your comments. I also said I would not buy any more of her books, and bought it on the day it came out.l am still reading it and she is back on form with this book.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2010 00:26:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Oct 2010 00:27:42 BDT
I shall be getting it for Christmas and it is something I look foward to. I also agree with comments on previous 3 books not the last one 3 before I think she has got it back. I dont know if anyone agrees but we could do with another Maura sequel.

Posted on 19 Oct 2010 18:43:15 BDT
molly says:
totally agree with your review, yes i felt very let down with martinas last 3 books .....but i went and got the family as soon as it come out and yes...much better. if you are looking for another brill author who writes like martina used to! try kimberley chambers especially the fued and follow up to it the traitor,which has just been realeased,both are brilliant.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2010 18:45:11 BDT
molly says:
was maura storyline in tess gerritsons books? not martinas.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2010 20:05:59 BDT
minimog says:
i believe Martina's first book was called Maura's Game followed by Dangerous Lady .
someone correct me if i've got them in the wrong order please , was a long time ago now !!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2010 21:26:58 BDT
molly says:
sorry yes your right, i remember it now......yes a long time ago. i was thinking of tess gerritson she has had a number of books out with a character called maura!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2010 17:21:17 BDT
bookworm18 says:
Dangerous Lady came first, then Mauras Game.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2010 20:22:42 BDT
minimog says:
thankyou , my memory not good these days!!

Posted on 24 Oct 2010 01:34:25 BDT
I too have been very disappointed with Martina's last 3 books and since discovered the delights of Kimberley Chambers and Mandasue Heller to name but a few. Even so, I still couldn't resist buying Martina's new release today, in the hope that maybe, just maybe, she may have listened to the previous comments of MC diehard fans and reverted back to the style of writing that initially caught us all in her spell. So tonight, having read just the first few chapters it is looking promising....not too much overblown character dissection or repartition of telling us the same information in 3 different ways! We shall see how things develop.........:)

Posted on 30 Oct 2010 12:22:42 BDT
Thank You for your review. I am also a Martina fan, but have been disappointed by her last 2 books. in fact i didn't even bother finishing Hard Girls, as i had sussed out who the murderer was and just couldn't get into the story at all. I said then, that I wouldn't buy another one of hers, but when Martina Cole writes good, she is better than anyone else. I would also recommend Kimberley Chambers books. she is very like the old Martina Cole that we read and loved in the past. but thanks to your review i will buy The Family, and hopefully forgive Ms Cole her last 2 weak books.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›