2.0 out of 5 stars Full of fan service, character and destruction and little plot, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Ignite Me: Mafi Teen #3 (International Edition) (Paperback)
This review will be spoilery (which is why it won't be posted on my blog). So if you haven't read Ignite Me yet, then I'd advise you to move along quickly!

Right, let's do this . . .

Firstly, I think it's important to state that I'm Team Adam. And secondly, I think it's important to state that my rating of this book had nothing to do with Juliette ending up with Warner.

I didn't finish this book hating Warner, which is a miracle in itself. I actually think he and Juliette were pretty cute together in this book and, since pretty much every bad deed Warner ever did was retconned, I couldn't keep loathing him. So instead I just felt indifferent to him, which I suppose is better than nothing?

My main problem with this book was HOW the love triangle ended - it was how Adam's character was completely butchered so it could end that way. In order to make Warner more viable, it was like Mafi felt she needed to completely obliterate Adam. And boy, did she.

Adam became a shell of the character so many of us fell in love with - he was rude, abusive and just horrible in general. In the few moments he was even in the book, it was simply to yell at Juliette, call her stupid and just generally be moody and horrible to everyone. AND I WON'T EVEN MENTION MAKING KENJI TOUCH JULIETTE AND THEN WALKING AWAY AND LAUGHING. I mean, seriously? It was the most ridiculous thing.

Juliette states multiple times in this book her and Adam have both changed, but the thing is that this isn't a gradual change. All of a sudden she's a bad-ass (hey nothing wrong with that!) and he's a douche bag? How does that work?

It was a ludicrous attempt at fan service in my opinion and it really felt like Mafi destroyed Adam as a way of making Warner more likeable. All of his outbursts were forced and over-dramatic it was plain inconsistent and tiresome to read. Meanwhile, Warner never steps a foot wrong.

Which leads me to my other issue: this book was one big retcon. Everything Warner ever did wrong was conveniently justified or changed in some way. Except him stringing Adam on a conveyor belt and leaving him for dead which was COMPLETELY GLOSSED OVER. Seriously, Juliette was like 'oh yeah I forgot about that! ... Never mind, WARNER LET'S HAVE SEX." :/ And when Adam reminds people about it, they're all like 'dude, you're just jealous your ex has a new boy toy. Quit living in the past'.

And the biggest retcon of all was Juliette coming to the 'realisation' that she never loved Adam.

That was a huge slap in the face. You can SEE in the previous books how in love they were and now, because Warner was the chosen ending, Juliette needs to erase any evidence of her and Adam having been in love?

We went from Juliette crying about breaking up with Adam to protect him and sobbing 'I wish I could love you less' to, in her words, stating that her and Adam were never in love and were just two sad people who found comfort in each other? PUH-LEASE.

If Adam's character and his past relationship with Juliette were treated with dignity, I really could have liked this book. I could have accepted her ending up with Warner. But the way it was handled felt so forced and ridiculous, that it completely pulled me out of the story and resulted in unbelievable amounts of eye rolling.

A really disappointing way to end a series. I wish there had been less focus on redeeming Warner and vilifying Adam, and more focus on the war and taking down The Reestablishment. As it was though, this book was nothing more than an Ode to The Destruction of Adam.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]