3.0 out of 5 stars Great advice with some reservations, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Clean & Lean Warrior: Your blueprint for a strong, lean body (Clean & Lean Series) (Paperback)
Having been very fit in my life, and looked not dissimilar to James at a number of times too - I thought Id give this a go to start the year. Ive bought a fair few fitness books in my time - weight-training, push-ups, jogging, body-building, etc - and some diet books - Harcombe diet etc - so as James looked how Id like to look now I thought it was worth a pitch, and it is.

Now 52 and needing to drop the best part of 4 stone (ouch, I dont like writing that down!)I was looking for a little inspiration. I think Im pretty clued up as to what to do now, but needed a prod.

The good parts of this book are very good indeed as you'd expect from someone with his credentials: dont eat processed foods, eat good meat (I'm vegetarian but no matter, there's options), particular fruits and veggies, avoid certain carbs. All good stuff - not revolutionary but needs reiterating or making plain.

And that's where we should all be of course. He does go on about organic quite a lot. And if that's your thing, fine. But the NHS website states that there is no evidence that organic is any better for you, so do as you can afford or conscience dictates. I personally would prefer to eat products that I was reasonably sure (if that's possible!?)didnt contain things that you wouldn't wish to consume ie hormones, additives etc. But, to be perfectly honest, I buy generally what comes to hand.

Yes, he does say that 'alcohol...it's literally all sugar' which is nonsense. But nevermind. He offers great advice on how to eat generally. Do I blame him for pushing his products though his book - Protein excellence for example - no. But I certainly don't plan to buy them either, and it is a bit cheeky all the same.

So, with some reservations, a thumbs up in the diet department. If we all just keep it clean we're in with a shout. However. It's a tad too complex to be medium to long term for most of us as I see it. If you look at some of the recipes there's just too much to do for most of us. So with James's mantra of clean in mind - go your own way with the rules, and it should be plain sailing shouldnt it? Don't get me started on motivation and determination because there's the real key...

As for the exercises - I like 'em. I'm not going to do them but that does'nt mean they're not great all the same. Would I exercise with a log or cricket bat - very funny but no chance. He'd have been far better off showing the chap in a gym (with his bloomin shirt on please!!!!!!?). The exercises are great though, in a gym situation. Will you get a 6-pack? Not a chance in hell. He's right to state that if you strip the fat away you may already have one - only once in my life!! I used to be supremely fit, Rowing, but I cannot remember any of us having a 6-pack. Look at most of the Olympic rowers for example - aint got one. Dont need one. A load of baloney. You need a particular physique, metabolism, diet, and desire for it. 99.9% dont need to see ourselves with a 6-pack or want one. Pointless modern rubbish.

James's afterword is the real deal - eat clean and exercise. That's the real message here and if youre looking for a prod to point you in the right direction this year, give it a go.

However. The only way you'll lose weight is diet. Fact. Exercise has nothing to do with it. There are better, simpler, diet books out there. As for toning, shaping, remodelling, building your body there are FAR better training books than this.

Sounds strange I know - but after reading many, many books - I get a push from reading Sly Moves by Sylvester Stallone. Why? Am I a huge fan? Nope. Will I look like him? Never, not even with Growth Hormones and steroids - hem hem. But he debunks the myths that we follow, takes apart the diet fads and offers some great advice - similar to James indeed - on food. He's realistic which most books, like Clean and Lean, are'nt totally. His exercises are achievable but you need to join a gym. Which is the best way forward.

Good luck. We'll need it...

[Add comment]