5.0 out of 5 stars Hope this might help anyone as confused as I was by magnesium formulations., 21 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Liquid Ionic Minerals Magnesium (96 Servings at 100 mg Elemental - plus 2 mg fulvic acid) (Personal Care)
I was SO confused about the different forms of magnesium, how they were absorbed, why some forms were absorbed better than others, if or why they were beneficial in different ways. Utter confusion! As far as I can tell, most of the other (tablet) forms of magnesium which you take orally are likely to be poorly absorbed as they need to be broken down in your gut and metabolized via your liver in order to present the magnesium in a form which your body cells can use. This is an inefficient process so any which cannot be converted/used gets flushed out (excuse the pun), hence the laxative effect which many experience (I did when taking magnesium glycinate!). In addition, calcium competes with magnesium for absorption and so too much calcium in the diet will block magnesium absorption. Our physiological requirement ratio for calcium to magnesium is about 2:1. In dairy products the ratio is 10:1. So, consuming a lot of dairy products (as our modern diets tend to, unfortunately) or a high dose calcium supplement will induce a magnesium deficiency. I was very surprised about this because we are all told to get plenty of calcium to help our bones and teeth but no-one ever tells you to take magnesium as well to prevent deficiency! No wonder we are probably all deficient!
Another problem with absorption is tea drinking as that contains tannin, which binds up and chelates all minerals including magnesium.

So...keen to avoid all this, I tried the magnesium chloride oil Better You Magnesium Oil Original Spray 100mlwhich you apply to your skin twice a day as there is good evidence that absorption through the skin is an effective way of sorting out a deficiency. However, the Better You website says this: "If you are Magnesium deficient you may feel a tingle or slight itch upon application of Magnesium. This is normal and is actually a sign of Magnesium deficiency. The tingling will reduce as you continue to use Magnesium." Well! A slight tingle is the under statement of the century! I felt like I wanted to scratch my skin clean off my bones for about half an hour after each application!! Realising this probably meant I am as deficient in magnesium as I suspected, I tried to stick with it but found I was putting the application off because it was so unpleasant to be itching and tingling like that, even when I diluted it.

Back to the drawing board.

I get that the issue here is about absorption. If you can present the magnesium to your body in a way which is ready to be used and absorbed at cellular level, you dont have the issue of malabsorption and poor bowel tolerance. After reading Dr Carolyn Deans website I was searching for an alternative to her more expensive "Remag" formula and struggling to understand if this Good State product was comparable.

Here is what I found out from Carolyn Deans website: "Magnesium enters the cells through channels 500 picometers wide (about 5 billionth of a meter). We normally rely on plants to break magnesium down to this size but some companies use a process that breaks magnesium down to picometer size. In my experience 100 mg of Pico-Ionic magnesium has the same beneficial effect as 5-10 times the other forms of magnesium." How does this compare to the Good State product? They say "The product contains Nano sized magnesium particles utilizing the latest Nano Mineral Technology. The magnesium particles are 0.1 nanometers in diameter, also known as 1 angstrom, giving you a product that is angstrom sized water soluble and completely absorbable." For those of you who don't know your angstroms from your nano particles from your picometers (and who does for goodness sake!?) a bit of googling tells me that the Angstrom sized particles in the Good State formulation are the equivalent of 100 picometers in size. 4 times smaller than the entry channels which Carolyn Dean refers to.

So, as far as I can see the "pico-ionic" magnesium which Carolyn Dean uses in her ReMag formula should be entirely comparable absorption rate wise, with the "angstrom sized" magnesium in the Good State formula as both are easily small enough to fit through the 500 picometer gap in the cells.

This product is a good deal cheaper than ReMag and I couldnt find a UK supplier, so I went with this instead. I really hope that helps anyone else out there who is finding the magnesium supplementation experience a bit of a brain strain!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Feb 2014 10:26:42 GMT
Thank you so much for your thorough review, it was very helpful.

Posted on 13 Apr 2014 23:15:31 BDT
Average guy says:
Thank you for your time on this very informative piece.
I hope you get the benefits your after.

Posted on 23 Apr 2014 22:07:56 BDT
I went for mega-mag which also states ionic magnesium (not sure of the particle size) because I was a bit concerned/unsure about the ingredient Natamycin (please see my review)

Posted on 21 Jun 2014 15:12:44 BDT
Lucylou says:
Thank you for this most helpful review. I have a question re the ratio of this Magnesium to the Liquid Ionic Calcium as I have just started taking both of them for Osteoporosis.I find that most GPs are not helpful if a patient does not want to take the calcium provided by the NHS and I really need to know if the 2 to 1 ratio Calcium to Magnesium is sufficient. I am in my late eighties and already have fractured vertebrae and am anxious to try and improve before my next scan. Any pointers will br appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2014 13:02:05 BDT
Hi there, Chris Kresser and Joseph Mercola both have sensible things to say on this subject if you put their name and osteoporosis into your search engine. Chris Kresser is very much all about weighing up the evidence. You'll need to look at vit K2 and vit D too. I would honestly say that working with a qualified nutritional therapist would really be very helpful for a specific condition such as yours. You may be able to persuade your GP to refer you on the NHS but expect a long wait. If you are able to invest in paying for a consultation yourself it would be money very well spent. This is the professional body website to help you find a good one http://bant.org.uk/bant/jsp/practitionerSearch.faces
Best of luck.

Posted on 25 Jun 2014 17:33:47 BDT
Mrs. M. Ep says:
You have done a really useful feedback! Thank-you so much!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jun 2014 17:37:14 BDT
You are most welcome. I'm so glad you found it helpful.

Posted on 15 Jul 2014 13:02:53 BDT
HAYLEY says:
many thanks for your review... brilliantly researched

Posted on 6 Aug 2014 01:03:58 BDT
Moondog says:
From an article by Dr. Mercola, quoting Dr. Carolyn Dean:

" 'The 2:1 ratio-that was a mistake; a mistaken translation from French researcher Jean Durlach, who said never ever go beyond two parts calcium to one part magnesium in your food, water, or supplement intake combined.' This was misinterpreted as meaning a 2:1 ratio was an appropriate ratio, which it's not. A more appropriate ratio of calcium to magnesium is 1:1. "

A highly informative article, by the way:

Posted on 23 Nov 2014 17:51:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2014 17:52:56 GMT
undine says:
Magnesium oil is by far the best. Make your own cheaply using Zechstein magnesium chloride flakes (the only one without heavy metals): simply fill a small spray bottle with the flakes (get them and the flakes from a well-known auction site) , pour in boiled water and agitate 'till dissolved. Standing the bottle in hot water for a few minutes works well too. Spray morning and night, avoiding broken/scratched skin (will sting badly, just rinse off).

As for supplementing with calcium, from what I've read, it should be avoided!
From "The Calcium Lie" by Robert Thompson and Kathleen Barnes: Calcium is only one of at least 12 minerals that build strong bones.

If you take calcium to strengthen your bones and you already have an excess of calcium in your body, you are signing your own death warrant. Think of it like this: Calcium hardens concrete.

Imagine what it can harden in your body! Excess calcium can cause:

* Kidney and gallstones

* Arterial plaque

* Bone spurs

* Calcium deposits in tissues other than bones

* Brain cell dysfunction, brain shrinkage and dementia
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›