1.0 out of 5 stars So many rave reviews?, 13 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Second Half of Your Life (Paperback)
This is a rather basic book. It's difficult to comprehend the flood of rave reviews about its life-changing nature. And all written within a couple of days?
Curious about this, I clicked on the "see all my reviews" button for the first couple of dozen of the reviewers. Every one of them had only this review to their name.
How likely is it that 47 people who have never reviewed a book on Amazon before will rush to the computer on the same couple of days to write a gushing five-star review for this book? Bear this in mind before rushing to buy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Feb 2011 09:12:02 GMT
I agree with you(see my own review written before I read yours).Also,unsurprisingly,the author has been doing stand up talks to market her book at shopping centres just this week.A coincidence?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2011 23:51:20 GMT
FaffingAbout says:
I agree with you also. One thing that really strikes me about the 5-star reviews is the repeated use of the author's name. Most reviews don't tend to mention the author's name - after all it is readily available in the product description. Yet in so many of the reviews the full name 'Jill Shaw Ruddock' is named fully with no spelling mistakes. The book titled is also fully named as well in many of the reviews. This rarely happens.

It seems to me that a job spec was sent out: 'Write a glowing 5-star review. Name the author and the title in full. Include as many of these words as you can get away with: motivational, inspirational, positive, optimism, passion, insightful, fulfilling, practical, refreshing, recommended'.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2011 10:52:34 GMT
H. Guy says:
I agree with the others, its quite obvious that the rave reviews by all those folk who'd never posted one before were staged. I most definately won't be buying the book especially given the poor rating of it by more credible reviewers.

Posted on 3 Mar 2011 20:48:28 GMT
elsie purdon says:
having checked and seen that the "rave" reviews are a bit suspect I will definitely not be buying this book!

Posted on 3 Mar 2011 22:21:30 GMT
More transparency is needed with amazon reviews. What I'd like to see is that reviews should only be written by people who've bought them, what Expedia too.

What I find annoying and a little sad is that so many people fall for these 'shill' reviews. It doesn't take much to infer what reviews are more likely to be genuine and which aren't.

Posted on 4 Mar 2011 17:43:05 GMT
Suzie Wong says:
There would seem to be suspect reviews for this book simply to hype it up! It's a shame really because the book might well be good, however this sort of artificial PR is simply off putting!

Posted on 7 Mar 2011 22:40:30 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 30 Dec 2011 23:48:57 GMT]

Posted on 13 Mar 2011 19:37:55 GMT
on the cusp says:

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2011 10:59:33 GMT
FaffingAbout says:
Vitriol - I don't think so. If you look back at the review and comments, you will notice that no-one has commented on the book itself nor the intelligence of those who buy it. It may well be an excellent book.

The review and comments are all objecting to the large number of 5-star reviews that are clearly placed there for marketing purposes - the evidence for this has already been outlined so I won't repeat it here.

I think we would absolutely love if legitimate amazon buyers reviewed the book based on their own personal opinion - that is supposed to be the aim of these reviews. However, if loads of fake reviews are posted it makes it much more difficult for a buyer to make a decision on buying the book. I was interested in the book but the large number of clearly fake reviews put me off. I'll hold off a while and see what genuine amazon buyers think before I spend my money.

I notice that your own review of the book meets our suspicious criteria - 1) written the day after publication 2) mentions the author's name in full 3) first review ever written under your name 4) no real detail in the review - you see, that makes me think you are not a genuine amazon buyer after all.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2011 23:51:31 GMT
on the cusp says:
Sorry to say but you are wrong. On the US Amazon website there is an "Amazon Verified Purchase' which is there to separate the true buyers from those that are simply writing reviews. The Amazon UK does not offer this but I can show you my receipts for the 2 copies I have bought - one pre-ordered before official pub date, the second a few weeks after (which is when I saw all the hostile reviews and felt compelled to respond). I have written to Amazon UK requesting that they add this qualifier to reviewers. On a side note, how bizarre to feel that I must defend myself against some stranger's accusation that I am 'not a genuine amazon buyer'. You are certainly not part of some sort of Amazon Secret Police or you would have access to my buying records and be able to see that I bought the book. You don't have to agree with my review or like my reviewing style but please don't accuse me unjustly of writing a 'fake review'.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (87 customer reviews)

£12.99 £10.39