2.0 out of 5 stars The reluctant printer., 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG3250 All-in-One Colour Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, Wi-Fi and Auto Duplex) (Accessory)
I bought this printer as I wanted one that would work wirelessly with my iPads and and also with my
MacBook Air, etc. I have two other Pixmas and neither would do this, although one was a wifi enabled machine,
which would talk to Windows computers, but not to iPads. The Mg3250 was specifically advertised as being able to work with iPads etc. It was a long and frustrating battle, with the Getting Started instructions so badly written that they were more of a hindrance than a help. The Canon Support was no better. They suggested that I should put some paper in it. Yes, I had thought of that. There must be somewhere in those help pages that would reveal the secret. After thirty years of experience with computers, it had me beaten. Then I fired up the old iMac desktop, and accidentally found a Canon software tool that broke the well-concealed secret of the purpose of the USB cable, supplied with this printer, and its function in forcing the printer to acknowledge my router, leading the way, so to speak. Triumph ! IPad spoke peace unto printer. But....it still ignores all my other machines.

It feels flimsy, and is temperamental, but prints nicely, if you have a lot of patience. The ink cartridges are, I can see, going to make it expensive to run.

I wish I hadn't bought it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Dec 2012 00:28:35 GMT
Santi says:
Next time go with Windows, or tablet wise: Samsung

Posted on 25 Mar 2013 14:34:18 GMT
roybridge says:
J. Cunliffe - could you shed some more light on the USB problem and the Canon software tool you mentioned?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2013 16:23:22 GMT
J. Cunliffe says:
It was just that Canon did not properly explain, in their setup instructions, the method of setting up wireless printing, using a USB cable to tether the printer to a computer temporarily, so that the printer could recognise the computer, and function with it wirelessly.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2013 12:30:05 BDT
Grassblade says:

Posted on 30 May 2013 08:27:56 BDT
Maeve Riley says:
Well all I can say is mine was set up "by me in 15 minutes. can only assume it was the MAC airbook connection or not using the USB that caused you the terror!!
Even though I wanted to use the wireless function more than cable I chose from experience to set it up using the USB as this in the past has proven to be the best way - so if you buy this printer which I would recommend, set it up using the USB and disc the old fashioned method "its painless"

The print is fabulous and fast - works good with iphone, ipad and samsumg Galaxy

Posted on 5 Oct 2013 22:05:18 BDT
L Williams says:
Interesting. Not had issues with anything so far. iOS, android, windows....all works perfectly.

Posted on 3 Jun 2014 22:29:28 BDT
I'm currently in the throes of trying to set up my Pixma 3250 and every time I get to the bit in the setup where the pc or router (I'm not sure which) is supposed to 'acquire' and connect to the printer, quick as a flash ... nothing happens. Interestingly, I note that a few people who have bought an Epson printer have had the same trouble. I wonder if it's a feature of the newest generation of printers? Oh, for my Kodak back, which broke at the weekend and they don't make any more: that connected perfectly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›