1.0 out of 5 stars A book on stating the obvious - over and over again!, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: You're Trying Too Hard: a Direct Path to What Already Is (and the End of Non-Duality) (Kindle Edition)
I found the author of this book unbelievably arrogant in his assumption that the reader 'will never understand and if they think they do they are wrong' (or words to that effect!) that 'this is it'. Contradictory in stating that Eckhart Tolle and Ram Das got it so wrong with their take on 'the Now' as he states there is no now and then spends half the book telling us to "look 'right now'" - is that the same now that doesn't exist? The only thing I find more unbelievable than someone writing a book simply to state the obvious 'this is it' is that I actually read it! I just had to ensure that my eyes had not deceived me and that the whole book was simply to inform those gullible enough to read it (myself top of the gullible list) that this is indeed it - and it was! So if you are in doubt as to whether you are living in the 'it' as opposed to the 'now' then read and enjoy. I give it one star as I did actually persevere and read the book. I think Mr Lott needs to not try so hard and chill out a little!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Mar 2014 12:50:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2014 12:58:43 GMT
S. Hartley says:
It is quite true, particularly when referring to anything mystical or spiritual, that when we think we understand, then we most likely don't. Krishnamurti said something similar when he advised against coming to conclusions: avoid conclusions or you will have nothing more to learn.

Is there a 'Now?' - perhaps not because for there to be a 'now' there has to be a past and a future and for the mystic there is no past - it doesn't exist, it can't be 'real' because it was transient - illusory (Maya) therefore not 'real'. The future has not happened so can't exist, therefor the present is transient - part of the illusion of time: past present and future.

We can't look at the 'Now' - we can only 'look' at the present. Therefore, I doubt that it is the same now that 'doesn't exist.' The 'Now' doesn't exist in time so Jenkins must be telling us to look at what is ...what is in time i.e. a tree is a tree - nothing more etc. Look at what is in the material world and that is all it is...it is, so lets not make conclusions arising from our conditioning from a past that no longer exists and cannot reveal Truth or Reality via our illusory senses.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2014 23:26:10 BDT
natalie keen says:
Oh dear, my head just exploded!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2014 00:03:50 BDT
S. Hartley says:
Oh dear :(

Posted on 5 Sep 2014 18:38:55 BDT
WhiteCrow says:
Annie, I will not try to second guess the writer (Joey Lott), but this is the effect these words have on me:
(I mean the words, taken from you: "will never understand and if they think they do they are wrong")
People who have realised never tire of hammering home that the words are not the thing: don't look at the word but at what they are trying to point to.

The quoted words tell me this: I should not try to understand, because understanding is of the mind (usually words, but I grant understanding can be other than through words - but still, ALL understanding is of the mind). The Real/Absolute/Natural state is not of the mind it is beyond (or some say prior to) the mind. Therefore if you try to understand you are taking the wrong path (and likewise if you think you understand) becasue you are still in the mind and not out of your mind (haha, I had to make that joke - better: outside/beyond/prior to your mind).

Paradoxically, I think I have understood this very well, but have certainly not realised enlightenment! So, perhaps it is better to rephrase your quote: people may well understand but this is not (indeed, never) the same as Realisation.

So the writer is not being arrogant but telling me something very important: that I should not try to "get it".

Posted on 28 Jan 2015 11:58:10 GMT
I don't think Lott writes there is no 'now'. He says in the book that there's no 'ego' (as mentioned by E. Tolle and others).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›