2.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Series in a 2 Star Budget Box..., 16 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Star Trek: The Original Series - The Full Journey [Blu-ray] [1966] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I felt awful clicking the 2 star tab, as I'm a life-long Star Trek fan and this is a pop culture icon... the very definition of a five star series. However, it is my duty as a consumer to warn other prospective buyers and to urge you to pay the premium and buy the separate season sets over this complete set. Reason being? Scratched discs from the awful cardboard slot style packaging, the likes of which you receive FREE promotional discs in a Sunday newspaper.

No doubt you have come across all the new 'Full Journey' sets... TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT on DVD, and TOS also on Blu-ray disc? Well common sense and a previous experience of this cardboard slot type packing should steer anyone away from the DVD sets (the slimline season sets are much higher quality and cheaper), knowing how prone DVD discs are to scratching, but knowing how difficult it is to scratch a Blu-ray disc, I assumed I'd be safe to go ahead and order the TOS set on Blu-ray and save myself a considerable sum of money (the individual season sets on Blu-ray, unlike in the case of the DVD's, are higher priced). Well yes, I did save some money... and then received my box-set with several discs rattling around loose inside. I quickly put them back and stored it on my shelf, thinking I was safe as Blu-ray discs are hard coated. I started playing the odd disc here and there, but noticing several surface scratches on the discs as I took them from their card slots. This could only be caused by this ridiculously cheap packaging, or cheap manufacture of the Blu-ray discs. The last straw was a disc I pulled out that wasn't even one of the ones that arrived loose, yet it had a severe scratch, a scratch which ran horizontally across the surface of the disc, the type of which can cause havoc and leave the player's error correction a real tough fight to play the media back without skips and freezes. Needless to say, they got quickly packed up and a return/refund request was placed. I am ordering the individual sets instead, which have the discs in sensible Amaray multi-cases.

As regards the series itself and the episodes I watched on Blu-ray, well they're immaculate. It looks like it could have been filmed yesterday. You get both the new CGI and the old model based special effects (unlike on DVD which only has the new CGI), and you can change between them on the fly with either the angle button if your remote has one, or via the pop up menu. There are also a wealth of extras. So yes, a 5 star release let down by shoddy packaging of which CBS Paramount UK should be ashamed. They are in for a world of hurt as regards customer returns, and it will be a hassle to places like Amazon and other suppliers as much as the customers, as they have to deal with constant returns. So for the sake of (at the time of writing) thirty to forty pounds more, you should really go for the individual sets if you can afford to. If that kind of a saving is just too much to pass by, you could take your chance and hope that there are few if any scratches and, of those there are, they do not cause playback issues. I myself believe Blu-ray should NOT be getting packed in budget packaging at all, as it is a premium format, commanding a premium price, and you should be able to rely on getting a premium product. In the case of this 'Full Journey' set, that is NOT the case. So buyer beware, I'm afraid.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 May 2012 21:34:06 BDT
Jack Daniel says:
Thank you very much for the warning, I was going to the this big box set but now I will buy them one series at a time !

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2012 02:23:49 BDT
Mr. T. Evans says:
Can i direct you to the following: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1MTXGS9RRD1JO/ref=cm_aya_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B004UR274G#wasThisHelpful

I have experienced this issue before too.

Posted on 19 Aug 2012 19:08:26 BDT
Simon F. says:
A fair point and well made but it does'nt help my situation as I just don't have the storage space for the individual sets. I'm hoping to get this for my birthday so we shall see.....

Posted on 20 Oct 2012 05:08:43 BDT
DTC says:
I would think that an email to either Amazon or to CBS Paramount UK would be warranted to have them send you replacement discs. I've dealt with Paramount (USA, mind you) in the past, and have had no issues getting a replacement disc for a set that was actually cracked. I emailed photos of the packaging and the disc (proof of ownership). Otherwise, there were no questions and they didnt even ask for the disc back. Once you have the discs in hand, the packaging would suffice as a shelf-piece vs however they are handled shipping them across western Europe , no?

Posted on 22 Dec 2012 06:27:24 GMT
etc6849 says:
A bigger warning is these are region-free discs and the other sets you talk about are B/2. For those in the US we are stuck with this set or the US version in the nicer cases for $240, over $120 more?!?

Posted on 23 Feb 2013 11:00:18 GMT
I. Mcdougall says:
Can any Star Trek fan give me some advice please?
I want to buy the complete original series on dvd, not blu-ray. I want it digitally remastered but with all original, non up-dated effects or music. I've waded through loads of the reviews of different releases, and am now totally confused!
Many thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2013 13:07:12 GMT
The current DVD sets in production have only the updated special effects, but on Blu-ray has both original effects and the new. The previous incarnation on DVD, that came in yellow (season 1), blue (season 2) and red (season 3) plastic boxes, and would now have to be purchased pre-owned, seem more like what you require.

But really, if you want my advice... a Blu-ray player is no longer costing an arm and a leg, and this series has to be seen to be believed in HD. There's just no contest.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2013 15:50:06 GMT
I. Mcdougall says:
Thanks Bertie. Thanks very much for the info. I do own a blu-ray player, but the Star Trek set is a little too expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2013 12:20:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 May 2013 12:21:57 BDT
They are the same discs, just in different packaging, so they are all region-free. Amazon's tech specs are usually rather poor.

Posted on 25 Nov 2013 17:48:36 GMT
M. Williams says:
Thanks for the review. I too have contemplated over this blu ray release package as I still have the region 1 series in red,blue,yellow cases and the discs have exellent protection, and have always been very pleased with them. I will not bother with this blu ray release untill the packaging gets better.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›