1,594 of 1,630 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Google showing the competition how it's done, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Moto G 8GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I wanted to post this review to focus on the few negative points regarding this phone so that people are more aware about what they are buying. I feel that there is enough information about the positive aspects on this phone available so I will only discuss these briefly. You may be therefore asking why I gave this product 5 stars, the main reason being that, for me, the pros easily outweigh the cons and the price tag is incredibly low for a device of this quality.

I've been on the lookout for a new phone for a while now. I was originally considering getting a phone on contract which although is costly seemed like the best option, but then I heard that Google were releasing the moto g.
After watching countless videos on youtube I found it difficult to believe that a phone with these specs could retail at such a low price.

I received my handset yesterday and the first thing I noticed was how great the screen is. Forgetting the price for a second this screen can compete with any phone within the market, but when you take price into account you soon realise that you are getting more than your money's worth.
The main issues with the phone is that it doesn't have a micro sd card slot meaning that you can't expand the memory of the phone. This was a big concern for me but I decided to take the gamble anyway. Out of the box the phone comes with roughly 4.94gb of available memory. I have used roughly 0.5gb installing the apps I use on an everyday basis meaning I have just under 4.5gb remaining. If you use your phone as an mp3 player then this may be a problem and you would probably be better off buying the 16gb model. However, if you aren't a big gamer and only really use your phone for taking snaps and social networking then the 8gb model should suit your needs. It is also noteworthy that this device comes with 50gb of google drive storage.

The second issue with this phone is that it isn't 4g ready which again will be problematic for some consumers but for me this isn't really an issue as during my weekly routine I'm usually in range of wifi so this doesn't concern me too much. Plus by the time 4g becomes more affordable we may be onto the next generation of phones.

Another issue I heard regarding this phone prior to purchasing was that the battery life isn't amazing. I fully charged my phone at 11pm last night and I'm now on 53% remaining at 4pm the next day. This includes 3hrs 15mins of screen on time with wifi turned on and 13hrs 45mins on standby. To me this doesn't seem too bad and so long as I can get a full day out of it with moderate usage then I'll be more than happy.
The phone comes with a 5mp rear and a 1.3mp front facing camera respectively. I only use the camera on my phone every now again with frequent snap chat use so for me the quality of the camera isn't a deal breaker for me. Taking the price into account you can understand that cuts had to made somewhere in order for this phone to be sold at this price level. Although the camera isn't amazing it'll be adequate for a majority of users. However, if you're looking for a phone with a high quality camera then you might want to look elsewhere.

Call quality isn't the best on this phone in relation to other phones out there but don't dwell on this too much as it more than does the job and with in call volume on full the call quality is decent.

A final negative point to note about this phone is that compared to other phones on the market it feels relatively heavy in the hand but you quickly get used to it and this won't pose a problem for a majority of users. It is also useful to know that this phone requires a micro sim, therefore if you have a regular sim you can either get in touch with your network provider, cut it yourself (risky) or buy a micro sim cutter. I had a regular sim and went for the latter option which I was slightly dubious about but it worked a treat.

Now onto the good aspects of this phone:
- It's fast! My previous phone was a samsung galaxy ace 2 so understandably this feels very quick in comparison. The multi
tasking feature is very smooth enabling you to switch between and close apps with ease.
- The phone doesn't come with a lot of bloatware like so many other phones on the market which again is a massive bonus.
- Beautiful HD screen (4.5 inches with a resolution of 720 x 1280, resulting in a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch)
- Android 4.3 with an upgrade to 4.4 in the new year (Sometime in January)
- Decent battery life (in my opinion)
- Easy to customise (Regarding both the exterior of the phone with the different coloured shells and the interior with the
software available).
- Low price for the specs available (1gb of ram with a Snapdragon 400 quad-core processor clocked at 1.2 GHz).
- Minimal packing (BUT the device doesn't come with a charger! However, the phone has a standard smartphone port so a samsung
or blackberry charger will suffice).

Again, I focused more on the negative points of the moto g as this information was as detailed around the web whereas the positives have been more than covered. However, if you are looking for more detailed information on the positive features of the phone then head over to youtube and view one of the review videos available.

In conclusion, taking everything into account it's clear that google has taken a big step forward by offering a fantastic handset at a fantastic price which will hopefully pay off so that competition within this area of the market can increase so that consumers don't have to pay a fortune for a quality phone.

Thank you Google and thanks for reading! :)

[Add comment]