5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet with a bit more screen area than the Nexus 7, 11 April 2014
This review is from: LG G Pad 8.3-inch Tablet - White (Quad Core 1.7GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera) (Personal Computers)
I had, and still have, a Gen 1 Nexus 7 when I bought this tablet. The great advantage of this tablet is the obviously larger screen area - approximately 40% bigger - which makes web browsing and watching films that much easier. It's quite a bit faster than the Nexus 7 too.

Other advantages:

Price: Well OK, I paid a bit over the odds to get it in white, but in black the G Pad is unbeatable at £179 (when I last looked on Amazon)

An SD card slot (Yay! Such a rarity these days) into which I have put a 32GB Toshiba MicroSD card, expanding total memory to a mind-boggling 48GB for a mere additional £12

Hackability: If you like upgrading your tablet independently of manufacturer's time schedule then the G Pad is perfect. Very easy to root, install TWRP and then to flash with different ROMs, including the manufacturer's own most recent version of KitKat, not yet released in Europe. Or you can use Cyanogenmod if you don't want the manufacturer's app clutter.

Good screen: Perhaps not quite as good as the Gen 2 Nexus 7 but high-resolution (1920 x 1200 - full HD plus space for the menu bar at the bottom) and very nice to use.

Good battery life: I've not encountered any issues with battery life. I've yet to run it down in the usage I make of it during the day.

Very slim form factor: LG have taken a lesson from their G2 phone and stretched the screen virtually across the width of the tablet. That means you get that extra 40% screen area for only a small increase in size over a Nexus 7. Unfortunately that small increase does mean I can't slip it into my jeans back pocket like I can, and do, my Nexus 7.

Negatives:

The desktop seems a bit retro even for Android 4.2.2 which is what it comes with, but then I'm used to the latest version on the Nexus 7. Too much manufacturer clutter. Easily fixed with a few tweaks or even by installing an alternative ROM if I really want.

The auto-adjust screen brightness seems to set the brightness too low making the screen appear dull. I've seen other similar comments around. I've just turned it off and adjusted it to my own taste and it now looks great.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Apr 2014 12:24:17 BDT
S Edmondson says:
Mine got the KitKat update on 9 April, I downloaded it the same day. For me it's no big deal, screen is a bit more responsive, and one or two other minor improvements, but it's nice to have the latest Android.

It's a great tablet with or without KitKat in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2014 16:10:32 BDT
Actually I have updated to Cyanogenmod 11 since I wrote the review and added the separate Google Apps package for all standard Google apps and Google Play. Very easy to do following videos available on YouTube and very *very* nice. It also gets rid of all the unnecessary additional LG apps. :-)

I think the retro look of the original firmware is perhaps more to do with LG than with the version of Android itself?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Aug 2014 23:19:37 BDT
Hi. I am not sure if you will see this comment now, but it's worth a go! I'm considering the G Pad and also considering using CMod. The only (admittedly pretty small!) issue I'd have with this is the loss of the "tap on" feature from its sleeping screen that comes with the G Pad as standard. I've watched vids of how to achieve this online but I think it might be a bit above me. I know how to set up the "tap off" (have it on my moto g in fact - very useful haha) but the "tap on" seems like a nice little luxury that I'd quite like to keep if possible!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›