3.0 out of 5 stars Good but maybe overpriced, 19 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (24.3MP) 3.2 inch LCD - (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Camera)
As a amateur photographer/videographer who owns a D7000, I've been waiting for Nikon to pull there finger out and start to match the Canon's when it comes to Video options. I was very happy with Nikons top consumer model as a stills camera but it lacked those little video options that the newer Canon's had, such as shooting 1080p at 24,25,30fps and 720p at up to 60fps. A headphone jack would also be nice. ( Not all Canon models have this )

I'd heard rumours all summer of a D7100, which i'd hoped would be a slight upgrade on the stills side of things and bring these much wanted video elements into play. To my shock it was announced that the D7100 thing was just a rumour but Nikon where releasing the D600, that offered everything I was looking for plus it was Full Frame!

The first couple of weeks it was retailing at around £2000. This was slightly out my price range but was still keen as it had the extra features I wanted for video. After paying £1100 for my D7000 not long after it had come out, i had hoped for an upgrade something more around the £1300 mark.

My mate bought one for £1600 a month ago. After having a couple of shots with it I can say it feels very much the same as my D7000. The pictures are slightly better with more colour depth but the the autofocus speed seems much the same and it is has a slightly less burst speed.

To cut a long story short.

All in all the D600 is a better camera than the D7000, for overall quality in its pictures and it is full frame but when you see the price of the D7000 now ( just under £600 ) I don't see how they can justify such a price difference. Its kind of putting me off buying it as in my hand it feels the same as my D7000 and when taking a shot it also feels the same as my D7000 and for over double the money! Surely when you upgrade and pay a lot more money you expect to get a better feel. The new video options are standard on lower Canon models so I don't count this as an upgrade, just Nikon finally catching up and the full frame thing, does that really justify the £2000 release price over the £1100 the D7000 was on its release?

I'm giving this 3 stars based on its price and also as a warning to potential buyers. Some people who upgrade to this camera from something below the D7000 spec will be very pleased with it i'm sure but beware of the dust issue thats seem to be popping up in a lot of reviews. I haven't experienced this with my mates D600 but I know the same problem from my D7000. I haven't seen this mentioned a lot with my model but it has affected everything I have shot in the last 8 months. Its fine for most stills as you can easily clone stamp out the unwanted spots on your stills but for video footage it makes it near impossible. You can clean the sensor which has to be done from time to time but its not something you want to be doing on a daily basis!

If I can be assured that the dust issue gets sorted and the price drops another couple of hundred I will definitely buy one but until then i'll be saving my money.

[Add comment]