5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in a Dell Inspiron 530, 8 Dec 2011
This review is from: INTEL Pentium Dual-Core E6800 - 3.33 GHz - L2 2 MB Cache - LGA 775 Socket (Box) (Personal Computers)
With my old E5200 2.5 GHz Battlefield 3 was running at mid to high 20 fps, occasionally briefly moving into the 30s. Which was just on the border of playable. The cpu was the bottleneck, running at 99%. I needed more GHz to improve matters, the rest of the system being fine (4GB of 800MHz ram, 400W Corsair and GTX 460 768MB, which rarely showed usage higher than 50% with BF3 running at medium on a 1080 resolution). Using a Dell means overclocking is out of the question, so I searched around for an upgrade. I narrowed the list down to new 3.0GHz+ cpus in the Wolfdale range. (I didn't want to take a chance on a used E8x00 series that may have been overclocked to within an inch of it's life, and I didn't want to build a whole new PC.)

Being an old system, it was a little hard to determine if these cpus would be compatable, and most appeared to be ok, but for some, including the E6800, I could find no definite answer. Time to take a chance so I selected the E6800 3.33 GHz, which was essentially identical to my existing cpu but with 33% higher clock speed and a higher FSB of 1066 vs 800. (Note to Dell Inspiron 530 users, I have the 1.0.15 BIOS which was the one that introduced cpu support for newer parts, later revisions not apparently affecting cpu support.)

The E5200 itself was an upgrade about 2 years ago, so the process of changing cpu was fine, and I used the original heatsink/fan. A bit of Isopropyl and some Arctic Silver and it was done. Moment of truth, power on. Success! Booting up seemed faster and in Windows Experience the processor score went from 5.4 to 5.7. The Memory score went from 5.1 to 5.9 (probably due to the higher FSB).

Temps reported at idle as 42 and 38 degrees for cores 1 and 2, a little higher than the E5200 (33 and 32). Running BF3 the temps are around mid 50s for core 1 and somewhat lower for core 2, even though both are running at 99%. (It could be my application of Arctic Silver was not perfect, and or it needs a bit of time to settle.)

BF3 frame rates (type "Render.DrawFps 1" into the console) were much better, running at around 40+ fps on a 32 player Caspian Border server, occasionally going higher, rarely spiking lower (note that I had a lot of background monitoring stuff running). I expected low 30s, so I'm very pleased with this improvement of about 20 fps. Incidentally, the GTX 460 768MB is still very under-utilised, running at an average of around 50%, with some spikes higher. Time to turn the eye-candy up a bit.

As far as the Dell 530 is concerned I think this is about as far as it can be upgraded. I hope that this review can help other 530 owners with their upgrades.

[Add comment]