ARRAY(0xaa0417f8)

1.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?, 8 Mar 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II (PC) (Video Game)
Ubisoft what you done? I've waited months for this to come out on PC and you've gone and ruined this release by adding ridiculous DRM onto the disc.

Now I have bought several titles with Securerom over the last year or so (the last 2 being Crysis Warhead & GTA4) and I really thought that the situation couldnt get any more petty. In general you have to install the game, enter the password, check it online and only then after doing that you get to play the title.

However Ubisoft in their infinite wisdom have decided that to play this game in SINGLE PLAYER as well as doing all of the above you have to be constantly connected to the internet. Thus if your connection crashes or the servers go down the game freezes and you cant save any progress that you may have made.

I mean come on! We the PC gamers wait for this title to be released 3 or 4 months after the console version only to have to put up with this rubbish. All this does is just make people like me who actually spend their money supporting the PC gaming industry feel like second class citizens.

Sometimes I wonder why so many people illegally download PC games. However when I see stuff like this I know exactly why........

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Mar 2010 20:23:52 GMT
GeeJayBee says:
I think you've got it wrong there pal. If digital thievery wasn't so rife there wouldn't be any DRM. Just look at the PC price compared with the console versions. This is only done to encourage potential buyers not to steal the game. It is unfortunately a fact of life in the internet age where far too many people think everything should be free, except what they are selling and everyone else should work for free while they get paid for their work.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2010 13:51:36 BDT
M. Carter says:
I agree with GeeJayBee. I know it's fashionable to slate DRM in games, but DRM is emphatically NOT the main reason people illegally download games. The real reason is simple - most people would rather get a game for next to nothing, rather than have to pay for it. I guess this is human nature, and will never change. Until it does, you're just going to have to get used to DRM. This is not to say that Ubisoft's DRM is overly-zealous, I'm sure if is. EA are one company who seem to have listened to the complaints about DRM and have made it less strict for Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2010 23:53:31 BDT
J. Hall says:
But the DRM has little or no effect on piracy. This game has been cracked. You can download a DRM free copy-which of course is more attractive to many gamers. Basically the DRM is useless, if anything encouraging more piracy (no I'm not saying anyone should pirate the game).

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2010 10:46:13 GMT
J. Marten says:
Actually the PC price is so much lower than the console price because development is much cheaper. Console hardware is sold at a loss - the money is made from the developers, and they pass that cost on to the end-user.

Posted on 11 Jan 2011 12:02:49 GMT
MicHaeL H. says:
Well, it's probably true that DRM increases piracy.
But it's more like this:

Games became expensive, people started piracy, developers entered DRM, piracy increased.
Lately games seem to have gone down in price though, at least here on Amazon, which is a smart step.
I've always been someone who thought about 30 Euros for a new game would be fine rather than 50-60.
Now I'm seeing brand-new games and pre-order-prices at 30 Pounds, which is more like 40 Euros though,
while here in The Netherlands they still go for 50-60.
Guess where I would buy my games?

I definitely support the purchase of original copies, but they should indeed sell at the right prices.
And it's just sad to see all the complaints and issues with this DRM-stuff.

Oh, then they also found a new trick for making money: "Special Editions"
Now, I'm one who likes some swag and extra content, as long if there's something actually special.
But since last or this year, they're really pushing it.
I mean, there's barely a major title without some kind of "special" edition.
With some sort of big item added, other accessories, an alternate box and extra in-game content.
If they're being original with these editions, fine, but all these extras are on the verge of becoming standard.

Oh well, you still have an option to get a regular version.
And if it sells more original copies, fine, I guess it works.
But it's getting a bit too overdone if you ask me.

Posted on 1 Feb 2011 18:53:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Feb 2011 18:57:08 GMT
Alan Maxwell says:
I went to play the game today (Feb 1 2011) and could not because the website was down for maintenance. It originally gave a time when it would be working again but when I tried again an hour and a half after this time it still would not work. I checked the website and this time they could not give a time when it would be OK. If you have bought a game, you want to be able to play it any time you feel like it, and not be dependent on the company's website working. Just imagine if you bought a car and couldn't drive it if the garage where you bought it was closed!

I was going to wait for Brotherhood to come out on PC, but now I think I'll get the Xbox version, as it has been discounted to the same price as the PC version now.

Are games manufacturers trying to kill off the PC game?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2011 18:43:18 GMT
MicHaeL H. says:
I doubt they're trying to kill the PC-game.
I think many still love the capabilities of the PC, because I do notice PC-games still having extras like better graphics and more options for it.
I mean, look at games like 'Mafia II', it "sucks" in graphics and performance on the PS3 (while the gameplay is good)
but the PC-version looks far superior to the console-version, plus is supports PhysX (unless the console-version support that too).
That's just one example, I think it's pretty much the same for the 'Assasin's Creed'-games, while I'm not sure about the second and third.
Maybe sóme manufacturers would be glad if they wouldn't have to make a PC-version anymore, which could be Ubisoft, I don't know.
And look at exclusives like 'Crysis', while there is 'Crysis 2' for consoles too, but again, it's far inferior to the PC-version
and they'll never give up on the PC-versions of these kinds of games.

Also, they'll probably patch it up at some point anyway.
Because, what are they going to do, leave an internet-connection required when they're a couple of years further on?
When people want to play one of their favorite games which is a bit older by then but still good?
I mean, there will be more and more games that require it, at some point it might become too much.
If they already have issues with servers and such things, how are they going to do it with multiple games.
I'm pretty sure they'll patch it soon enough, if not, the game(s) might just die and they'll take the blame.

I'm not too worried. Sure, an annoying issue, but they're not just going to let the PC-gaming-platform disappear because of things like this.
If anything it's getting better. Maybe they should take example of (or collaborate with) something like Valve and Steam more.
I'm not some fanboy of that, but I do like how they sell and maintain/support their games. Couldn't be easier.
AND they listen to their customers most of the time. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.9 out of 5 stars (176 customer reviews)

£34.99 £5.65