4.0 out of 5 stars Like it? I love it, but..., 11 July 2011
This review is from: Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
Just back from holiday having been using my brand new 60d for the last couple of weeks. As an upgrade from my old 400d the improvement in quality is ridiculous - high ISOs give usable images allowing hand-held images in low-light nighttime situations and the auto-focus is pin sharp and much faster than the 400d. If you are thinking about upgrading from a circa 400d model, you shouldn't think for too long - well worth it.

Build quality is also great - go to a camera shop and handle this alongside the 600d - the difference in quality of the camera from a build point of view is very apparent. The rear dial is great and the whole thing is pretty intuitive, if sometimes the choice of functions with buttons is a little odd.

I've been snapping away at the Tour de France, shooting at 200mm between heads and over shoulders and panning to pick up fast moving cyclists and had no problem getting some great shots in the bag - landscapes and candid street shots also work well.

So why not 5 stars, well:

- the lay out and selection of the buttons doesn't really fit with what I'd like - this may be my familiarity with the 400d, but one thing which really gripes is the lack of an AE +/- button - probably the one I used most in normal shooting in Aperture Priority. I'll probably swap one of the buttons on the top plate for it though so no major harm done. The 60d is highly customisable so you can fix most gripes if you need to [edit - thanks to a comment by R. Mills, I now know you can very easily alter exposure compensation nonetheless - see bottom of review]..

- focus in live view is really very slow with a lot of hunting. I'm not in all seriousness sure it's useable except for static subjects. I have used it with landscapes and it did a good job, but forget about candid street photography unless you turn off auto focus. This is an area Canon ought to have done better in by now.

- no auto-focus in video mode. Just a case of learning better manual focus skills really, but a bit of a pain. Plus side, no auto-focus noise in your videos, which when they're sharp, look and sound great straight out of the can.

All in all I love this camera, excited to be using it, think it will help me get better at photography, and don't regret the purchase at all. For an upgrade it's well worth it. If you're looking for free and easy video shooting without the need to learn a load of new technique, you'll be disappointed, if you're after a great stills camera which can give you almost professional level video (with some work), you might just be delighted.

Late addition - you can in fact easily change exposure compensation by half depressing the shutter button and rotating the rear dial. Had I the option I might go for 4 1/2 stars...

On the down side, I've not found noise control to be quite as good as I'd hoped.

3 months into ownership I would still say the 60d is miles better than any other camera I've used and I'm still loving the feel of the camera, it's great build quality, the speed of focus when not in live view and the general quality of the images I get from the camera...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jul 2011 23:15:45 BDT
R. Mills says:
I test drove one in a camera shop and the way to adjust +/- exposure on the fly is by pressing shutter half way and rotating the thumb-wheel. (I think the rear one). Worked a treat. Indeed, your review made me follow this up - thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2011 13:47:35 BDT
S. Gee says:
Thank-you R Mills - very helpful indeed. I think the words "read the f****** manual" probably apply to me in this case...

Posted on 23 Mar 2012 17:55:55 GMT
JR says:
This is one of the reports that confirmed my decision to buy a 60D. Unfortunately I got a faulty one. I found several reports on the web of people having to send cameras back because the autofocus doesn't focus correctly. This is a Canon problem , not the retailer. If you are not happy with the sharpness of focus on your camera then return it. I am now off on holiday with my old 400D and hoping for a better experience when my replacement camera arrives.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012 20:29:37 GMT
S. Gee says:
Hi JR, sorry to hear that - mine is sharp as a tac.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›