4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 18 Jan. 2014
This review is from: HP CM750A OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax, Web) (Accessory)
I was looking for a printer which would do the following

Connect to my router through a wifi connection rather than a cable
Carry our double sided scans
Carry out double side print
Be economical to run

After reading the reviews for this printer I decided to give it a go, I must admit I did not buy it from Amazon but from a High Street store.

It was well packaged, and took minimal set up.

Lots of blue tape to remove and then I had to attach the duplex unit to the rear of the machine.

The instructions seemed to miss essentials like how to pop in the ink cartridges, but, when you turn the printer on, the screen takes you through the initial set up easily.

Connecting to the router was a piece of cake, password entered and set up.

The HP software disk was inserted in my Mac computer and found the printer straight away, however it crashed at the final steps of setting up the printer.

After a few attempts I decided it must be that it is not Mavericks compatible.

So I had to go the the HP site and download an up to date printer driver.

{Start Rant} Not the best start, I wish companies would realise how annoying such problems are when setting up their products.

The updated driver works fine

After setting up various online pages, (which were easy) I am now

emailing files to the printer which it opens and prints
scanning wirelessly

However turning on duplex printing has evaded me.

The print quality is good, the print speed is good and the scanning is good as well.

I just wish the set up disk at the start had searched for up to date drivers, that would have cut an hour off setup time.

However I can do all I wanted, apart from duplex printing.

When I know how to carry out that little trick I will report back here.

UPDATE

I have just replaced the black ink cartridge, I was running on the one that came with the printer, according to the counter I have printed 1740 sheets with that cartridge, the colour ones are low as well, but I am very happy with that output in real life from a cartridge.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Feb 2014 11:11:29 GMT
MDA says:
Hi,
I am really interested in this printer however I've come across this statement by HP and wanted to clarify what the consumer view of things was.
Print Professional-Quality colour for up to 50% Lower Cost Per Page Than Lasers (1)
How many pages would an average ink set do before needing replacing, as this will help me understand the running costs involved?
As the other printer that I have in mind is the Dell LED laser which doesn't use the industry colour laser toners that HP made its comparison with... also replacement toners are much cheaper than the ones they are contrasting against.
Much appreciated
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2014 11:37:44 GMT
Doug says:
I had a Samsung laser and the price of the toners was killing me!

I really struggled to make the comparison on running costs...

I have put 1000 sheets through the printer so far, just office stuff, reports etc and so far the ink is still registering as full, but I don't know how fast it will fall.

I seem to remember Staples have the information in store on the the number of pages at 5% coverage that you should get from an ink tank, however having checked online for you I can't find this information on their website.

I am sure that all manufacturers work hard to make it impossible for us to carry out running cost comparisons. However when I was in Staples this was the cheapest inkjet to run by far.

So far I am impressed by how the inks are lasting.

I also love the eprint (emailing the printer, which then opens attachments and prints the email)

I am sorry not to have a more factual answer for you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Doug "Doug"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: York, England