23 of 27 people found the following review helpful
Thief is back!,
This review is from: Thief (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
A little and personal overview of "Thief", the 2014 reboot of this legendary franchise, available for XBOX (ONE - 360), PC, PLAYSTATION (3 - 4)
+ The art direction is good and faithful to the previous chapters
+ You can choose your own style (be ghost and leave no traces, knock out your enemies with the blackjack, etc.)
+ The bow and the various arrows are back!
+ There is a customizable difficulty level with various options (you can't knock out a guard, you can't use lethal arrows, etc.)
+ The overall "flow" of the various movements that Garrett can do is good (the running, the crawling, etc. feels natural)
+ The new "dash" movement can be a real "life saver"!
+ The first person perspective is good (you can see garrett's feet, arms, etc.)
- The story is just ok
- The NPC are not interesting
- Garrett himself have a lot of charisma but almost none backstory
- I think the PC version is not very well optimized (mainly lag and audio problems during the final cutscenes...)
- The final boss is a total joke
- You cannot cling or jump wherever you like, limiting your overall freedom
- The collectibles are nice but not very interesting
- The levels are not that big
- Your "house" is pretty much useless
- You can't pinpoint locations on the minimap
- The puzzles are relatively easy
- There is no innovation in the gameplay or in the graphics
In conclusion, "Thief" is just an okay game with a couple of interesting game mechanichs, but no real innovations like the original game...
To me, for this kind of games, a total freedom with the movements is extremely important but here is "limited", since you can only jump or cling when the game let you do that... but as an overall experience it is okay!
My advice is to pick it up for 15£ and if you enjoyed it, try "Dishonored" as well!
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Apr 2014 16:11:56 BDT
Good review, thanks! I would also recommend Dishonored as a game which gives the player much, much more freedom.
Posted on 10 Feb 2015 23:35:50 GMT
in fairness.. not a fair review... not good.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›