3.0 out of 5 stars Inadequate in an actual brawl., 25 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Secret Art of Pressure Point Fighting: Techniques to Disable Anyone in Seconds Using Minimal Force (Paperback)
I bought this book assuming it would allow me to dis-advantage attackers in a non-lethal manner.

Sadly, this has not been the case.

Let me make it very clear, I hate fighting and I have no time for anyone that enjoys fighting. When I visit my local pub, however, I am constantly subjected to catcalls and abuse. "Where's your dress" they say, although I am a man.

I have been constantly rough-housed in an alarming manner for months. This is unacceptable. I am almost thirty after all.

I bought this book and, using a model I made from pillowcases stuffed with sheets, have been practising diligently with it.

While the book touches on non-lethal conflict resolution, an admirable thing in my opinion, it does not seem to address the particular issues I have personally experienced.

Just this last weekend I returned to my local, confident that with the tips I had picked up I would neither be targeted or victim of an attack. This was not the case.

Almost at once I was subject to many comments about my dress, which I had finally been confident enough to wear again. Believe you me, the hurtful things that were said gave my confidence a substantial knock. I thank goodness that I stuck with sensible heels.

Luckily I had brought the book with me, but as I was flicking through it for any help, the largest bully snatched it away from me.

"Oh, what's this, your diary?" he asked. I suspect this was a rhetorical question.

I tried to grab the book back but his grip was too hard.

Unfortunately my previous weeks training kicked in.

Soft tissue, soft tissue, soft tissue... I dug my knuckle with a twisting motion into the soft part between thumb and forefinger and was rewarded when he squealed and released the book.

If only I had let it end there.

His face grimaced with fury and I panicked. I do not know what exactly happened in the intervening time, but I recall being dragged off him by the constabulary, the corner of my book still wet from his blood and tears.

I would record the precise instructions I received from the book which led to this incident, but it is still considered "Queen's Evidence" for the forthcoming court case.

All in all, I can't fault the efficacy of this work, but the wisdom wherein may be more than a sane man can handle. Particularly when teased about his dress.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Nov 2010 13:22:25 GMT
Shakti Devi says:
You're brilliant!!!!

Posted on 5 Dec 2010 21:23:41 GMT
P. Hambly says:
Good for you! The bully got what he deserved. Good luck in court.

Posted on 5 Dec 2010 21:24:32 GMT
P. Hambly says:
Good for you! The bully got what he deserved. Good luck in court.

Posted on 15 Dec 2010 17:01:37 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 8 Jul 2014 10:14:45 BDT]

Posted on 2 Mar 2011 10:31:56 GMT
B. cherry says:
You should write books very funny

Posted on 24 Jun 2011 09:35:37 BDT
G. Sinclair says:
This such a "bulls-hit" story.

Posted on 10 Aug 2011 09:55:33 BDT
Big Matty says:
You should have hit the guy with the book...

Posted on 27 Aug 2011 14:23:42 BDT
Mo says:
This is half the problem of buying a book and thinking you have got the skills to defend your self. Any decent book and instructor will tell you join a club and practice punching, kicking and getting fit as these will form the basis of your basic self defence. I am glad you stood up to the bully, but if you had the training you would have known when to stop and how to deal with situations as you have described. This is the main danger of the general public buying books and thinking they have become masters. I suggest you join a decent martial arts club.

Posted on 11 Jan 2012 20:51:55 GMT
Lister28 says:
I agree, you should write a book.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 19:47:45 BDT