5.0 out of 5 stars BYE BYE OVERHEATING!, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Zalman ZM-NC3 Ultra Quiet Cooler for Up to 17 inch Laptop (Accessory)
Got the Zalman laptop cooler today, and was very excited especially since the expected delivery date was several weeks away! I had hummed and haahed about whether to buy directly from Amazon as it suggested a wait time of 1-2 months, so I am very happy that I did go with it. I had done a lot of research into laptop coolers, and this one seemed popular and well made, and at £12.50, a good option pricewise.

Huge box, but cooler inside is a normal size. It fits my Toshiba Satellite Pro well (17.3 " screen), although there is a slight overhang, this does not affect the cooling in the slightest.

I didn't find the usb cable a pain at all as I have a couple of sockets that can be used and the usb cable includes a socket of its own (so that you do not lose a socket effectively). The profile of the socket is a little larger than normal as a result, but should not cause you problems. The usb cable is located at the back of the unit in the middle, and so reaches either side of the laptop very easily.

This is a nice sturdy, attractive piece of equipment, the whole top surface is a metal mesh, so the fan air distribution is good all over. When on, it feels quite pleasantly cool. It is fairly quiet also (just a gentle whirr) and when you have anything with volume on your laptop, then you absolutely cannot hear the fan going at all. In fact, it is quite a lot quieter than the inbuilt laptop fan!

As for cooling, before I got this my laptop overheated very regularly whilst playing certain games. However much I underclocked the laptop, or hoisted it up to improve ventilation, the thermal indicator would run between 92C - 97C, and would often suddenly shut down when it exceeded that. I would have to resort to fanning the air vent every few minutes to keep it going, which was hugely annoying.

Not anymore. Today running tests with the clock at full overclocking glory, the maximum temperature was 82C. For comparison, when on normal and not playing power hungry games, my computer runs around 67C. Now it is between 54C and 55C.

I think that 1 large fan is definitely the way to go, and although there are newer models out there with a 22" fan as opposed to a 20" fan which this one is, I don't imagine there's so much difference to warrant the price hike. Steer clear of the cheap plastic coolers, especially the clear ones(often with flourescent blue lighting), the last one I bought came in 2 pieces and the cardboard box it came in was thicker than it was!

I am very impressed with the Zalman ZM-NC3 and hopefully this will keep up the good work in the future.

UPDATE - It's now 21/05/2014 and the cooler is still doing its thing and keeping my laptop alive. Just a thought, I have my cooler (and laptop on top of it) on a plastic tray affair, so it doesn't come into contact with the duvet. I have tried it on the duvet directly, but I think it would compromise the efficiency. I am certain that without this cooler, my laptop would now be in laptop heaven.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Jan 2014 02:35:00 GMT
Sunny Cloud says:
Thanks for detailed review! Accordingly on customers reviews it seems like this is a quality product indeed! But it is very important for me products of what companies I am buying hence my question: who are these guys who own this Zalman company? I wasn't able to find any detailed info about them except they are based in Seoul...but sounds like it could be Zionist owned company who is part of Hanwha conglomerate who has to do with weapons of mass destruction. http://english.hanwhacorp.co.kr/BusinessArea/Explosives/Defense/Overview/Overview.jsp
Do not get me wrong but - why should I support companies like this just because of my tiny personal comfort even when their products are of excellent quality?!
Nothing personal - just want to know before I invest!......
Thanks!

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 10:23:21 GMT
primocat says:
Jan 2014 - Still going strong - I am sure without this my laptop would have died for sure :)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 10:28:33 GMT
primocat says:
Hey Sunny Cloud, who knows if you are right or wrong. However, given that a few companies (and probably a small number of individuals own most of the stocks/shares in those) hold most of the world's resources, this is probably inevitable. http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228354.500-revealed--the-capitalist-network-that-runs-the-world.html

Posted on 11 Jul 2014 20:06:05 BDT
Syd Carlton says:
Thank you so much for such a detailed review.
Many thanks as well for the warning about the 'huge box'. You weren't kidding. When it was first delivered I thought I'd ordered the wrong item. I was so relieved when it finally came out from all of that packing.
The Zalman laptop cooler is brilliant, so thank you again for helping me make the right choice.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›