3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, shame about the title. Don't be fooled., 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: Jamie's 15-Minute Meals (Hardcover)
First things first. I like this book, and I'm a big fan of Jamie Oliver. I've cooked five of the meals now and they have been fantastic. For the recipes and the ideas it's a five star cook book. I particularly like his use of a food processor to speed things up. The flavours are great, the ingredients are easy to get hold of. So far so good. So why only three stars.
Because there is absolutely NO WAY you could walk into your kitchen and in fifteen minutes be sitting in front of these meals. There are people who will tell me I'm wrong, but I'm pretty handy in the kitchen, I've got all the equipment necessary, and I've been cooking for a long time. 15 minutes as the title is just plain wrong. One of the things that annoys me most is at the beginning of each recipe, there is a little set of instruction of things to get ready first. What equipment you will need, what to do with it, where to put it, and most annoyingly of all, the words 'ingredients out.' Basically, prep before the clock starts ticking. I'm sorry, but all that is PART of cooking! It is just wrong to say none of that counts and the only part of preparing these meals is the bit when you combine everything. My favourite meal so far, required an huge amount of prep. Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely delicious and I'll make it again many times. But no matter how many times I make it, I will never be eating it in 15 minutes, and neither will you
I know he got a lot of stick for the great book, 30 minute meals. The press loved getting people to try them and delighted in telling us all it took them an hour and a half. So when I saw he was bringing this out I was thrilled. It was like he was thumbing his nose at all that and saying 'I'm going to do it even quicker!' I promise you I'm not jumping on the previous bandwagon and doing a 'lets bash Jamie.' But I have cooked them, and I know what happened.
In summary, an absolutely wonderfull set of recipes, buy it for them and you will enjoy eating them as much as me I'm sure. But I SO wish it was not called what it is, because it just ain't going to happen.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 22 posts in this discussion
Posted on 10 Dec 2012 15:26:56 GMT
I am just about to buy several of Jamie's 15 minute meals cookbook for friends but I know in advance that there is no way that I could ever complete the dish in that time. I reckon it will take me an hour? I need to buy a foodprocessor and had lots of chopping boards and also be fast but then he is a top chef with years of experience. Do you think this is all a joke and that he knows full fell that most of us won't do it in that time!!!

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 16:10:00 GMT

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 15:39:08 GMT
R. A. Lynch says:
who really cares, and who is timing themselves. If you see a recipe you like cook it anyway whether it will take you 15 mins 20 mins or 4 hours. Have people here got nothing more to do that chastise a recipe book... No wonder this country is going to the dogs.

I have now seen it all, 'It took me 43 minutes'. Please go get a life a job or both... Life is too short to moan about how long it takes to roast a chicken... Jesus Christ !!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 16:16:19 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Dec 2012 14:30:20 GMT]

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 13:19:30 GMT
Mr. D Jones says:
Has no one seen the series 'Jamie's 15 minute meals'? He cooks them in 15 minutes on that. Practice the recipes.

Posted on 3 Jan 2013 14:09:03 GMT
ellee says:
Gosh everyone is taking the 15m thing v literally! I would not expect to match the timing of a prepped and (ahem) practiced chef on the telly. I take 15m to mean "quite quick and definitely quicker than anything in that other cook book you have over there".

It's ideas I really want, quick ideas that I can cook after work that will be ready ... quickly!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 09:49:50 GMT
M. Page says:
Greek chicken, veg couscous and tzatziki. Page 38. It's a firm favourite. Still can't do it in 15 minutes tho :)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 11:48:05 GMT
Thank you for your post.I completley agree!well said...BRAVO!

Posted on 11 Jan 2013 10:21:40 GMT
Vic Green says:
Excellent review so thank you

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 19:13:09 GMT
Ms C. Brooks says:
Totally agree with comment by Matthew. A more realistic name for the book would be 'From Fridge to Table in Under an Hour. Two of us have just cooked 'Golden Chicken' - peeling potatoes and flattening chicken (trimming it first) with the relevant herbs took 15mins! AND AND AND what is not mentioned in the book is that afterwards the kitchen looks like a bombsite! Where you rush from one thing to another, everything is left out, 4 pans on the stove, blah blah nightmare. Great if I had someone clearing up after me.... Tasty recipe though.

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,191 customer reviews)

26.00 12.00