4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Excellent But A Few Niggles, 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Epson WorkForce WF-7525 Printer (Accessory)
The Epson WF-7525 is an excellent machine but for me printer choice is always a compromise. After some thirty years I have not yet discovered a printer that ticks all my boxes. I really like the new Epson WP series with their high capacity ink tanks, but they don't include borderless printing or an A3 option. After several weeks of painstaking research, The WF-7525 is the closest to my requirements I could find. I considered but rejected the Brother and HP alternatives, and Canon doesn't offer an A3 MFD (wish they did). Now that I have used the machine for a few days, would I make the same choice? Absolutely! Despite the caveats below, this is a top-class performer and I am pleased with my decision.

My main pre-purchase concerns about the WF-7525 were the lack of a vertical back paper feed and the capability of the cassette to reliably feed envelope stacks and thick paper (strangely, few reviews cover this function for any printer). I was also a little concerned about print quality, based on one or two reviews.

No problem with print quality: normal mode provides acceptably clear, crisp text. Examined under a magnifying glass, letter edges are slightly less sharp than print from my Canon MX860 but the difference is minimal and to the naked eye results are excellent. Finer settings approach laser quality but are slower. Photo prints are also outstanding - though not quite as good as the Canon: colour is ever-so-slightly muddier and less vibrant (might be correctable using printer settings), and fine detail, especially in darker areas, is less well defined. This is true for plain paper at normal quality and glossy photo paper at best quality. However the differences are marginal and unless you are unusually demanding or a professional photographer prints are more than acceptable for most business or personal use. This is also a speedy printer, much faster than my Canon, although pre-print processing can take up to twenty seconds.

The scanner is good and the scan/copy functions work well. I have always liked the Epson scanner software, which I missed when I migrated to Canon.

Lack of a vertical back feed is more problematic. I bought the machine knowingly, but I suspect this compromise will niggle in the months to come. The ability to slot in the odd-sized envelope or card stock for a one-off job, without needing to change the media in a cassette is a real boon that I will miss. My related concern - the cassette's ability to feed thick paper and envelopes - is an issue. Thankfully it will feed envelopes OK but thick paper is a problem. You can lie to the printer - for example tell it you are using glossy photo paper (no problems with this, incidentally, even the thicker ones) when in fact you are using artistic greeting card paper, though I am not entirely sure if this helps. You can find out from the Epson Web site what weights their various paper options are then make equivalent substitutions, but some may fail to print. My Canon will happily print a very thick art paper through the vertical back feed, but the same paper repeatedly jammed in the Epson. I can get around the issue by a more careful choice of paper, but it's none the less disappointing. I wonder why so few reviews address this function - surely I am not the only one who creates greeting cards?

I used to be a loyal Epson fan, but I was proselytized to Canon some five years ago. I was surprised to note how little the printer menus and interface has changed since then, especially for core functions. They are workmanlike and do the job efficiently enough, but the interface is unappealing and some functions are a bit tedious and clunky. Going through the menus I was also reminded of the nozzle check, cleaning and realignment procedures that used to be a regular routine with my previous Epsons but virtually disappeared with my Canon machines. I have not had the WF-7525 long enough to know how much of an issue this will be, but I suspect it may be an unavoidable consequence of pigment-based inks.

Setup was reasonably straightforward, but I am computer-savvy. The "start here" setup guide is inadequate and in places confusing; a novice might encounter problems. My network has a Vista PC and four Macs (3 Lion, 1 Snow Leopard). I manually added the printer to my network from the printer control panel, using the simple WiFi Setup Wizard. The WiFi setup options appear after the ink cartridges are installed, but the setup guide does not clearly explain what to do with them. As usual, when adding the printer to the Macs, they picked it up and automatically installed the drivers. Which is just as well, since the installation disk was not recognised by the first Mac I tried, so I didn't bother using it on the others (I subsequently discovered it worked OK on the other three). The disk worked fine on the Vista PC; I ignored the "start here" guide and just followed the prompts in the software. After installation I upgraded the printer firmware (also inadequately explained), though I have no idea what functionality the new firmware adds, since Epson didn't say - no doubt the information is buried somewhere in their site, but I haven't time to look.

I give the machine itself eight or even nine out of ten, but the setup instructions and software only get two.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Aug 2012 03:37:17 BDT
Hi, I also need to use card stock (paperback book covers) of at least 250gsm. Do you know if this printer can handle that weight as Epson don't give this info in the detailed specs that I've seen.

Thanks.

Posted on 10 Dec 2013 14:58:54 GMT
Helpful, thanks. I need to use 310 gsm art paper and my current brother dcp6690cw refuses to feed them in. But then that is a printer that's been unreliable on all fronts. I just need an a3 scanner/printer which takes this paper. Would you say this epson can't reliably take it?

Posted on 10 Dec 2013 14:58:57 GMT

Posted on 10 Dec 2013 15:01:01 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2013 16:43:12 GMT
tattybags says:
I just wanted to confirm what you said about the instructions being woefully inadequate and for me, a virtual novice, I got extremely confused and after spending about 7 hours over 2 days I still havn't managed to get the computer to connect with the printer. Contacted "live chat" which was totally useless. They advised me to got to one of their "articles" for help but the address they gave me for it does not exist. I hope I'm not going to be completely dissatisfied with my purchase, only bought it 2 days ago. Looks like I'll have to get someone in to install it all for me. More money.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

Out of stock