4.0 out of 5 stars Here Come The Girls!, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: 100 Hits: Girls Night (Audio CD)
I bought this 5 disc set as a Christmas present for my Best Female Friend, to substitute for the Bananarama CD I was supposed to be getting her but which, rather shamefully I suppose, I have now decided to keep for myself. I'm a ratbag, I know... but I'm a ratbag with a new Bananarama CD! It's probably just as well the Nanas were apparently not deemed worthy of consideration for '100 Hits: Girls Night' actually, otherwise I daresay this would never have made it out of my house either.

Being as how it is a gift, this is the bit where I think I am supposed to say something along the lines of 'I've got no idea what it sounds like, but I'm sure my Best Female Friend will REALLY love it'. Then I think I'm supposed to give it five stars, purely for the hell of it, on the assumption that my Best Female Friend will herself deem it worthy of them. I don't know about you, but that sounds dangerously close to 'taking a woman for granted' from where I'm sitting. Not a healthy pastime to engage in, that one. A potentially very dangerous one too. In any case, I'm not giving it five stars. No disc anywhere in this universe that has the initial good sense to feature that classic Diana Ross track 'Upside Down' but which does not then stick around for that great instrumental bit at the end must be docked one star in my opinion, right from the off.

I know what you're thinking - how could he possibly know that, if he bought this for someone else and that person hasn't even unwrapped it yet, right? That's a very good point you raise there - very good indeed. The thing is, when I buy music for other people, I really feel that the decent thing to do in advance of their getting it is, well, to open it up, whack it on my computer at some volume, grab a Babycham and some dancing shoes and to just make sure everything is in good working order first before reaching for the wrapping paper.

What can I say - it's just the sort of man that I am. Selfless, a giver... and the owner of a whole wardrobe's worth of garments that give me all the qualifications I need to be able to enjoy a 'Girls Night' with some vim and vigour, every now and again. By the way, I would rather such an action were viewed as the sort of altruistic and selfless act that might offer me some redemption in so far as my greed when it comes to Bananarama CDs is concerned rather than an opportunity for me to rip all the best songs from these five discs and to enjoy them via my computer long before and, indeed after, my Best Female Friend gets her hands on them. Mind you, the evidence for the latter is, I will admit, pretty damning.

From the point of view then of a bit of a 'wolf in sheep's clothing' (and a wolf in sheep's clothing with some, admittedly, questionable codes of CD gift-buying practice at that), I think this is a cracking collection of music and a really nice combination of different styles. 'Here Come The Girls', the original version by Ernie K.Doe, kicks things off beautifully and his is one of a minority of male voices you will encounter. From a personal perspective, listening to 'Life Is A Rollercoaster' makes me want to go and lay my ears down on the track of a rollercoaster and wait for the next one to come along and put me out of my misery but, hey, this product isn't actually aimed at the likes of me. Besides, that's what the 'Fast Forward' button was invented for - plus I didn't rip that one anyway.

The stuff I DID lift from these 5 discs far, far outweighs the stuff that I didn't. If I can compare my 'Media Player' with that Boots commercial of 2007 that brought 'Here Come The Girls' to the modern public's attention, all the life and spirit of the ladies on these discs has been captured right here in my computer - with the likes of Mr Doe, Barry White and Tom Jones to keep them company. Meanwhile, as we cut to the world's most boring office party (which, in this instance, is the equivalent of being one of the few songs around here that I didn't help myself to)... why, where is everyone? Oh, there's Ronan (God, I hope he isn't tempted to start warbling anything) and... no, that's pretty much it. I was tempted to dump Diana Ross in there as well, but it's not her fault if she was cut off in full flow so I let her in to my 'Media Player' party instead like pretty much everybody else.

Like I said before, I'm just a generous kind of a guy. Well, sort of.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]