23 of 24 people found the following review helpful
Even better than Undrentide!,
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of Underdark Expansion Pack (Video Game)Hordes of the Underdark is, simply, an excellent expansion pack for Neverwinter Nights. It does everything that an add-on pack should do: gives you more playing time through an extra campaign, improves the basics (like graphics), adds extra stuff for you to find, and improves the gameplay engine that's already there.
* The new campaign finds the town of Waterdeep under attack from the drow (dark elves). After an attack in the (token) inn where the townspeople are hiding out, you soon find yourself exploring the Undermountain - a strange dungeon created by a mad wizard. But there is another world beneath this world holding new horrors for you and your comrades.
* Epic-level characters means you can progress up to level 40!
* To aid in this there are new Epic Feats, new Epic Prestige Classes, new Feats and Epic Feats, new Spells and Epic Spells.
* Loads of new items, including Acid Flasks, Firebomb Flasks, Tanglefoot Bags.
* The ability to craft new items from base materials like hide, planks, iron, steel, feathers. Use Brew Potion (on an empty flask), Scribe Scroll (on blank parchment) or Craft Wand to create new magical items! Use dye to change the colour of armour and clothing!
* Five new tilesets - The Underdark, Frozen Wastes, Drow Interior, Illithid Interior and Beholder Caves.
* Armour now has a 'robes' part, which covers part of the armour.
* For level creators, the Aurora Toolset has several improvements, including new wizards, wings and tails, scripts, and of course access to all the juicy new items, spells, feats, tilesets, and so on!
* Improved henchmen with better AI, fully usable inventories, and customisable behaviour.
* Improved game graphics.
As you can see this is an excellent expansion. The campaign is for level 15 and above (you can select from a handful of new 15th-level characters), and there is so much new content to play with (both in-game and with the editor) you'll be playing this for months!