2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with G10, 15 May 2009
This review is from: Canon PowerShot G10 Digital Camera - Black (14.7MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD PureColor II Viewfinder (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I was expecting the perfect camera based on all the fantastic reviews here on Amazon. As of writing this review, 17 out of 25 have given it 5 stars, 7 have given it 4 or 3, and 1 person has given it 2 stars. My previous digital camera was a Canon Powershot S400 (4 megapixel) camera that I got over 5 years ago. It was an excellent camera. I decided to stick with Canon because I loved the S400 so much (and my previous film SLR camera was a Canon too). So I got the G10: a 14.7 megapixel camera marketed as a midway between a point and shoot and a Digital SLR. It has a solid black body design and button layouts reminiscent of the old style of SLR. There is a whole heap of functionality built within this camera.

Image quality is what matters and I'm disappointed with this camera. The problems I have with it are:

1. Pixel noise. As others have mentioned, noise becomes apparent at ISO's 400 and above. However, when you actually analyse the picture taken at lower ISO's, noise is still evident. If you are going to use a camera outdoors during the day or if you are using this for regular prints or photos for the web, then this is not a problem. If you are using this camera for indoors, poorly lit situations, and want high quality images that you can blow up to maximum size then it does become a problem. Using ISO 800 and above is useless in this camera.

2. Focus. The camera reviews here state that the images produced by this camera are super sharp. I didn't find this was the case. When I viewed images at actual size (100%) in Photoshop, I noticed the image to be soft. The sharpness that I would expect is not there. I tested using a tripod, light box and ISO 80 setting, but still notice that the image is soft. I compared images at 100% with images taken with my S400 camera and the S400 was sharper. Once again, for regular prints or photos for the web, you won't notice a sharpness problem. Its when you blow images up to larger size that you may find an issue.

3. Bright lights are not handled very well by the camera. You will notice that areas of brightness (lights) are really blown out in the image.

4. There is already a recall on this camera to resolve fine lines in images issue and a firmware update to fix a hue issue (check Canon website for details).

5. What you see through the range finder and what you see on the LCD screen are two very different things. The rangefinder view is very cropped.

I can only give it a two stars. It is overpriced and doesn't live up to the image quality that I would expect from Canon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jun 2009 23:23:02 BDT
Thanks, this seems like a good unbiased view from someone who knows what they're talking about. Sadly, it confirms what I thought might be the case - blown highlights and disfuntional amount of noise from Canon falling prey to the 'Mine's bigger that Yours' race and cramming stupid amounts of pixels onto a tiny sensor. Shame.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2009 08:18:27 BDT
R. Edwards says:
I agree that stuffing 14 million pixels on a compact size sensor is madness. I have 2 canon g3s , 4 megapixels cameras- the images are quite stunning- even at a4 size- they blew pictures taken with my fuju s6500 6.3 mega pixel out of the water- have a look at my pictures using a g3 on www.richedwardsmusic.com

Buy a g3 in good condition- ( about £70.00) -you wont regret it- promise you!!!

Posted on 3 Jul 2009 19:23:10 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 3 Jul 2009 19:23:42 BDT]

Posted on 7 Jul 2009 15:34:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jul 2009 15:37:47 BDT
M. Aves says:
Referring to the comment that says the S400 results are better than the G10 at 100%. Firstly you can't compare a 4mp image to a 14.1mp at 100% as it's like comparing a 7x5 print to a billboard poster from 2 feet away. The bigger image will appear softer, more pixelated and with more noise as you are standing too close. You get a similar effect when looking at a monitor. The larger the image, the smaller the section of that image you are looking at. It will appear to be softer etc, but if you reduce it or show it on a screen big enough to view it all at 100%, you can then appreciate the image. Pretty much the same as TVs too, you sit back for larger screens. Resize the G10 image down to the same as the S400, then you have a fair comparison.

I can see where you are coming from, I have a S45 and G7 and thought exactly the same when I first bought the G7. But I don't view the images at 100%, even on my 23" HD monitor. If you want to look at pictures only on the computer, shoot 2MPs, that's ample. Where the benefits of the higher MPs come in, are for printing larger better quality images.

Lastly, the sensor on most compact cameras is tiny. It can only capture so much, so I agree with the second comment that perhaps 14.1 is pushing the boundaries for such a small sensor.

Posted on 22 Jul 2009 13:38:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jul 2009 13:41:57 BDT
AHW Rea says:
Two comments:
1: I've been using my G10 intensively as a lightweight alternative to my D300 for mountaineering photography [my job]. At no time have I had a soft image at any point in the zoom range.
2: Can someone explain the obsession with high ISO numbers? When you used a film camera, just how often did you use film of ISO 400 or above? It seems to have become a geek issue "My camera may handle like a dead penguin, but at least I can photograph a candle in a dark cathedral and don't get any noise".

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2009 12:52:48 BDT
mike20021969 says:
i just had a quick look at some of your pictures - they are stunning for a g3 4MP camera.

Posted on 7 Sep 2009 17:32:45 BDT
Hi,
I could do with some advice - I need to buy a Canon Digitl Camera for my boyfriend for his 30th birthday - willing to spend up to £300 - can you reccomend based on your very good knowledge!?
Johanna

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2009 22:07:30 BDT
Ryopinion says:
Hi,
It's very difficult recommending a camera for someone as it really depends on how you will be using it and what your expectations are.

For up to £300 I'm assuming you're looking for a point and shoot camera. Nowadays, most point and shoots are about the same for taking photos but have different options like HD video, face detection, anti-blur, etc.

If you just want a Canon point and shoot then the Canon Digital IXUS 110 IS is a good bet. It also has HD video recording with HDMI output.

It is a 12MP camera which should provide ample resolution. I would stay away from the higher resolution 14.7 MP IXUS cameras.

Canon Digital IXUS 110 IS Digital Camera - Blue (12.1 MP, 4.0x Optical Zoom) 2.8" LCD

ASIDE: It is interesting to note that the next incarnation of the Canon G10, the Canon G11, is going to be a 10 MP camera that features improved noise reduction and includes i-Contrast technology, which prevents high-light blowout. Looks like they addressed the issues of the G10.

Posted on 4 Feb 2010 16:37:17 GMT
Yes, I would agree with you on the Canon G10 having too many pixels crammed into its sensor. I was thinking of buying the G10, but when I compared images (on a Digital Image Comparison site) between the G10 and the earlier G7, the G7 showed a definite better quality image.

I too think Canon's technical people could have produced a far better camera.

Regards,

Phil Edwards
North Wales.

(I bought the Canon D1000 DSLR in the end - and it is a great camera!)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2010 16:39:29 BDT
RB says:
At the end of the day there's only one camera that will never give you trouble and that is a Sony. Over the years I have bought many cameras and camcorders and I always come back to Sony.
You only need to look at Most Haunted, Ghost-Hunters, Ghost Hunters International And Ghost Adventures on Sky's LivingTV and every time its always a Sony you'll see in their hands. Ok I know
you'll have to pay that bit more for a Sony, but its money well spent. You get what you pay for every time, with Sony you get perfect pixel every time so forget the rest and buy the best (Sony Simply The Best) ;-)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›