5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive text of the London sixties underground, 7 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Days In The Life: Voices from the English Underground, 1961-71 (Paperback)
Jonathon Green's 'Daysn the Life' was a particular revelation to me, finding it as I did in a Singapore airport bookstore. My flight was called, and foolishly I left for Jakarta without buying it, despite having read 20 pages in fascination.
It wasn't until six months later that I bought it and read it and re-read it until it fell apart. The scope of the book is so much greater than just the sixties and its often moribund nostalgia.
As a direct consequence of reading Green's book, I became a writer and wrote my own book on Syd Barrett of the Pink Floyd, whom I learned a great deal about through 'Days in the Life'.
Green was kind enough to allow me full access to his unedited interviews when I met him in London. A charming man with an acerbic and quick wit, Green's book reflects his passionate scholarship.
Suffice to say, I urge you to read 'Days in the Life' post-haste, as well as Green's subsequent 'All Dressed Up'. They are nothing short of remarkable.
Julian Palacios

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Jan 2014 22:23:55 GMT
Michael K says:
I found Jonathon's "Days in the Life' in a Greenwich bookstore in London for £1 and bought it merely because of the price (and maybe title) in the late 90's.
It was some time before I opened it but when I did, as you say, I started to read and re-read and consult it like some kind of encyclopedia.
Many years later I found that my brother had thrown it out of my parents house where I'd left it while visiting.
I am serious when I say I have not spoken to him since!
This book is a treasure. I have heard of the 'extended mix' of unpublished interviews and wish that JG would find a publisher who would take this unedited version to the shops.
I can understand that this may only NOW be possible with digital reissuing and hope that you, sir, who have contact with JG might make such a suggestion, particularly now a fellow diligent on the period, the incomparable Mark Lewisohn has opened up this 'extended special edition' as a genre.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (7 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £8.77