1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably disappointing, 30 Oct 2010
This review is from: Eddingtons Mincer Pro, Red (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this because of the other good reviews and I am almost willing, on the basis of those reviews, to believe that mine was an exception, but mine was a disaster on its very first use.

I followed the directions to assemble it (not rocket science - just add the handle, insert the chopping blade choose the size of the holes in the disc blade and insert that before screwing on the plastic blade cover).

I set about using it with some fillet pork cut into small chunks. The first few turns of the handle produced finely minced pork and I was over the moon. A couple of turns of the handle later and the thing had jammed solid. That meant rewinding the handle and pulling out the pork already in there before trying to release the blade cover (a plastic ring which screws in over the disk blade to keep it in place). Nothing worked. It was jammed solid. I soaked it in washing liquid for a few hours but it still wouldn't budge. I then soaked it overnight in oil - still no movement. WD40 also failed. As a last resort I wheeled in the ex-partner who applied tools to it. In the end the blade cover cracked and broke.

The instructions were followed to the letter, the blade cover was attached firmly and it was screwed onto the thread on the machine properly, but it only worked for a few seconds before jamming solid. I was looking forward to mincing my own meat and this was just so disappointing.

In spite of the other good reviews my own experience has left me feeling more than somewhat let down and I wouldn't take another chance on a piece of Eddingtons equipment after this experience.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Mar 2011 11:09:12 BDT
We were after a lo-cost, eazy-2-use mincer to make haggis for our poetry group to cellebrate the great Rabby Burns. We purchased the edington mincer and on the morning of the party set about mincing our liver, lungs, heart and pluck. We had purchased the mincer well in advance and had been excited about using it for a while. It seemed to work well untill we got to the heart. We noticed the handle became harder to turn. This puzzled us as it was impossible to tell just from looking at the mincer, what was cauzing the problem. We decided to keep adding the meet to see if this would push the blockage thru. It seemed to have the opposite effect. My husband tried poking the meet with a metal skewer via the exit holes, whilst i continued to force the meet thru from the other end. This seemed to do nothing but damage a perfectly skewer. My husband then tried scrubbing the meet through the disc blades using a wire brush. This only served to clog the brush with the heart and neither the heart nor brush could salvaged. realising our guests were due to arrive in less than two hours all hungry for haggis, my Husband pooped to Waitrose while i set about soaking the mincer in a bowl of melted butter in the hope that the grease would ease the meet out. The butter solidified, adding to the blockage. We ran the mincer under the hot tap and then soaked it in the sink for half an hour. This then blocked our sink. Whilst my husband was on the phone to the emergency plumber, I decided to see if dismantling the mincer and removing the meet by hand would work, and it did. However, with a blocked sink, shop-bought haggis and 2 weary chefs we decided it would just be btter to cancel the nights festivites and retire to bed. However we did have the mincer ready to use again for our meet lovers group sausage cellebration.

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 18:34:49 GMT
Don't be put off by some idiots here... this mincer works just perfect, we really tested the product over the Christmas, variety of meat, like pork, rabbit, beef and also we made a lard from the pork skin were the skin is hard a thick... no issues whatsoever. great item, easy to assemble and use, I am buying another one for my family too

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2012 06:21:05 GMT
I agree Marcin. Hand mincers are dead simple, I really can't understand these reviews about them jamming unless you are a complete animal with them. And even then you just take them apart and clear out whatever is blocking the fuctioning of the mincer. Most of theses horror stories are a bit of stand-up.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 14:49:26 GMT
kangaroo says:
@Marcin and @Downing - I initially agreed with you until I tried mincing "casserole grade" meat. (Which is really the kind of meat you should be using when mincing ..) I've had no problem what so ever until yesterday but with the casserole grade meat the same thing that the reviewer described suddenly happened to me too. I did pre cut the dices up in smaller 2x2cm chunks and turned and fed carefully like I normally do - but it simply jammed up with debris and arteries around the axle, through the holes and around the knife. I had to stop for every 50g of meat to carefully clean it out.
So, whether you believe it or not - the reviewer has a point.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 14:55:41 GMT
A. Byrnes says:
Well it certainly did happen to me, and I have no reason to have posted the review if it hadn't happened. I was certainly not an "animal" with it and don't have any trouble with other kitchen kit, which I hope disqualifies me from being an "idiot." Perhaps mine was just faulty, but it really did jam solid and had to be disposed of. I'm glad that some reviewers were lucky with theirs, but mine was a complete disaster.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2013 11:26:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Oct 2013 11:32:24 BDT
We both fell about laughing at this post! Not only at some of the spelling but at the prize performance of this hapless pair. Firstly, we wondered if they cut up the heart before putting it in the mincer? Secondly, if the mincer should jam you just wind the handle in the reverse direction and the meet (sic) should travel back through the feed tube, simple! And, of course, should that fail, step 2 would be to disassemble the mincer, rather than soaking it in melted butter! If it's not too late we would definitely recommend that they buy their sausages. By the way, a tip my old mum used to use many years ago was to feed a bit of stale bread through the mincer now and again whilst mincing to keep it clear.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2013 14:21:34 BDT
kangaroo says:
@discriminator: We? hapless? my old mum? haha you really need to get a life. Luckily amazon provides an "ignore this customer" button next to your post.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (63 customer reviews)

£29.99 £18.02