5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating read, 10 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Trick and Treat: How Healthy Eating is Making Us Ill (Paperback)
I have had this book for just over a week and it is an extremely interesting read with just one or two bits that require a second read to comprehend. Overall it continues to produce 'light bulb' moments in each chapter. As a retired lady who has been dieting for over 40 years with little success and feeling nutritionally deprived and hungry for the best part of those years I see how I have been led up the garden path with incorrect advice given by medical professionals. I have always been anti medication where possible and fell out with my doctor recently as she was insistent that I took statins for a cholesterol level of 5.5 which I did not think necessary and believed that I was being coerced for reasons of 'targets' in the practice. After one visit when I felt I was being bullied I changed GPs. As previous reviewers stated I think this book should be compulsory reading for all doctors and I most certainly believe that the pharmaceutical companies are in the business of putting profit before health.

The theory that animal fats are not evil and are in fact essential to good health makes perfect sense and is enlightening but after 40 years of living as fat free as possible (and still being morbidly obese) it will take a while to get my head round actually eating cream and butter.

I have ordered Barry's book 'Eat fat get thin' and hope that the menu plans can start to undo all the years of bad advice and perhaps a thinner lady will emerge.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 May 2010 11:24:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 May 2010 11:27:28 BDT
C. Hand says:
I can understand the fear you have of fat. But these days we really do have a reason for fearing agricultural animal fat. They pump it with growth hormones, antibiotics etc... and animals are fed on grain which lifts up the omega 6 which encourage tunour growth. Chickens are fed on horrible things, treated awfully and should we be eating them? They are grain fed, pumped with antibiotics. It worries me that we will encourage more abuse and feed ourselves food that will encourage arthritis and ill-health ... the big C! Yet, we will be thin. Does a meat eater look better than a person who is eating lots of fresh foods full of nutrients? The facts are that you and I want to care about the animals and would love to go vegetarian but it never works, we are always hungry and fat and protein satisfy us. So, we need to be pressing that animals are fed correctly, as intended, that chickens and all animals are given a chance in nature before killed. How are we going to produce all this meat for everyone? Grain and oil fields would need to go, we need more room. I am no expert, but we have a problem here. If meat and fats are the way to go, we should be very concerned about animal welware and realise that what we feed them will give them the fats that go into us. The other thing is that throughout the years animals are not always fatty, so how come I am going to have to find it? Would the hunter gatherer save fat for summer, when the sun makes us warm and so does a fat diet. In summer we crave salads not loads of fat. There seems to be some issues. Also the high fat/high protein diet is VERY ACIDIC! The masai used bitter herbs and astringent chemicals in their diet of blood, milk and meat (see wild health book).
I am very complexed. I believe that the fat and protein diet works a treat, but the agricultural practises are the trick!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Aug 2010 15:03:14 BDT
Francisca says:
I have no idea where you live but here in France it is not difficult to find bio butchers who are certified as selling meat from animal who graze outside so I do trust their meat. The same can't be said for the supermarket meat. Still, my father told me a little while ago that where he lives, in Portugal, at least one supermarket is already advertizing meat from animals who graze outside. Maybe things are getting better? That said I do eat enough fresh vegetables but I don't think that changing my diet only because of the wellbeing of animals is a good idea. Animals should be treated well and fed well but that is not going to happen in most cases not even if I or a bunch of other people turn vegetarians. This is the type of society we live in and that is what should change, not my diet....... And yes, in the summer, if it is hot we crave salads but in winter, especially in cold countries people have always eaten a lot of fat!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2010 17:10:06 BDT
Halifax says:
wow, your lucky to be able to get your meat that is farmed biodynamicaly, I wish I had that recource localy so that I could encourage their production with my business. Though I am lucky enough to have a local butchers that does sell organic free range produce despite not being from a biodynamic farm.

By the way 'C. hand', even though animals fed grains have their omega 6 profile raised to above where it would be naturaly if they were grass fed, it is still probably not as bad as using vegetable oils, I dont know but I would imagine that the ratio of omega 3 to 6 in animal fat would have a better ratio of omega 3. Since vegetable oils have nearly nil omega 3. hmmm perhaps not, then again I'm still going to fry in lard and tallow :) if for no other reason than to discourage the production of harmfull vegetable oils (excluding olive oil).

Posted on 20 May 2011 10:21:34 BDT
R. O'connell says:
> "I have always been anti medication where possible and fell out with my doctor recently as she was insistent that I took statins for a cholesterol level of 5.5 which I did not think necessary and believed that I was being coerced for reasons of 'targets' in the practice. After one visit when I felt I was being bullied I changed GPs."

Good for you!

Posted on 19 Sep 2011 14:48:22 BDT
Hello Lilac, just to say how much I enjoyed your review, very humane and down to earth. Good luck with the diet,

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 20:35:59 BDT
Mahesh says:
Use sprouted/unsprouted beans and pulses which will help you feel full and also get proteins.
Summer time is very good for sprouting beans. In fact I just had spicy sprouted mung beans for dinner, yum!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2012 16:38:31 BDT
Francisca says:
Hi Mahesh, how do you sprout the beans? And how do you cook them? Do you eat them in a salad like sprouted soya beans?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›