5.0 out of 5 stars Very, VERY impressive., 12 April 2013
This review is from: Raven's Shadow Book One: Blood Song (Raven's Shadow 1) (Kindle Edition)
You can get the gist of the story from other reviews here, I won't bore anyone with another summary.

What I will say is that I am a picky so-and-so and, as an example, I recently read Mark Charon Newton's first book (Nights of Viljamur)- didn't like it (dull characters and too many quotes lifted directly from 'The God Delusion', etc) despite other rave reviews, and have given up on various other traditionally published books over recent years despite the time, effort and money spent on publishing them. There was a time I would finish a book even if I found it dull or hated it, I can't do that these days. I just don't have the patience for bad writing or stories that I don't like or don't grip me.

This is self published and is the best fantasy read I have had this year - though Mark Lawrence's Prince & King of Thorns is a close second.

It's not all constant action, it's a slow burn novel (like Robin Hobb and others) but you're always kept interested and the depth of character achieved and the nature and strength of the bond between the 'brothers' is great stuff. There's plenty of intrigue and the authorial 'reveals' along the way as the story unfolds have been paced very well indeed.

Ok, there are a few typos (names spelt wrong and a coma or two missing ...IMHO) but those issues are irrelevent and I forgive the author 100%. This is an amazing effort and a fantastic story.

Thank you, Anthony you have given self publishing a good name!

Bravo!!!

EDIT - I have the self published version. I see that Mr Ryan has quite rightly been picked up by a traditional publisher now. Quite right too. Well deserved. Comparison to David Gemmell though is something I don't understand. Ryan has his own voice. DG was indeed an Legend and while Ryan might quite enjoy the comparison, I think he stands up perfectly well on the strength of his own efforts.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Aug 2013 11:36:18 BDT
Nymia says:
I totally agree - Nights of Villjamur was the biggest disappointment for me and I couldn't understand how it was so well-received despite being very pedestrian. I think I also gave it a scathing review on here which may have been more coloured by the disappointment of raised expectations... Blood Song was one of the most satisfying novels I've ever read in terms of length, story arc, characterisation and overall a sheer pleasure to read. I also have the self-published version which I bought for a bargain price, but will be adding the physical book to my shelf to re-read before Mr Ryan's next book comes out. Most self-published books I've bought I've found it difficult to struggle though due to poor editing or spelling and grammar - those elements really spoil my enjoyment of a story - but the sheer amount of hard work and effort put into producing such a first novel by oneself isn't lost on me. An enormous task, very well executed. Bravo!

Posted on 18 Sep 2013 12:14:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2013 12:14:55 BDT
GanoesParan says:
Funny, although my curiosity was peaked by your statement about Nights of Villjamur, which I can completely agree with, it was subsequently subdued by your statement about King of Thorns. Because I am of the opnion that Mark Charon Newton and Mark Lawrence are completely in the same category. Both books lack depth and interesting personas and for me the writing lacked a certain eloquence.

That said I will give this a chance nevertheless.

Thanks for the review.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 08:44:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2013 08:44:57 GMT
Sherlock says:
GanoesParan
I had a quick look at your comments and your reviews - it doesn't look like you've read/reviewed The Name of the Wind. It is head and shoulders above other fantasy books I have read and might be what you are looking for...
Rgds, Jon

Posted on 28 Apr 2014 14:42:28 BDT
Jaspal says:
Sadly this review led me to buy this...Prince of Thornes et at are a lot better than this book.
The components: plot, characters and world are all there, but the delivery just left me a bit bored in the end.

Posted on 11 Jun 2014 12:26:57 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 11 Jun 2014 12:27:21 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (484 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £4.84