1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
If exploration and sheer variety is your tipple, then Fuel could be the beverage for you!,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Fuel (PS3) (Video Game)
This is a really very good game, much better than what I was expecting, and kept me busy for many hours with so much to explore and unlock. I'll sum it up with some good old pro's and cons:
- The post apocalyptic environment is HUGE. It can take a good half an hour to cross one zone, and there are nineteen zones! These range from desert, grass, canyon, snow covered mountain, salt flat (similar to Bonneville salt flats, excellent for high speed runs), some dilapidated and abandoned cities, and water (which can be crossed when you unlock the hovercraft). There's even a beached oil tanker in one of the areas, and the Grand Canyon sky walk can be found in the canyon zone, and also driven on! There's too much to discover that I can mention here, but believe me when I say that this environment is as varied as it is enormous.
- The range of vehicles is excellent, with bikes, quad bikes, buggies, cars, trucks, SUVs and lots more in between, all of them with fairly distinct handling characteristics. These vehicles can all be considered as belonging to two camps; tough rugged off-roaders that can handle any terrain, and speedier machines that can only really handle tarmac but are much faster than their off-road counterparts. So you've got two different navigation styles right there; blast across the rough stuff as the crow flies (almost), or find a longer but perhaps faster route across the network of roads that cover the area. So see which you prefer, or which the current environment allows. As you can probably tell by now, If you like variety and amount of content, you're going to like this game :)
- The races are varied and entertaining, although in my personal opinion I find the exploration aspect of the game more fun. But hey, you've got to earn fuel (the currency of the game) in order to buy your vehicles and unlock new zones so you're going to be doing plenty of events, which were still very enjoyable and also allow you to discover more of the environment.
- There are plenty of unlockable liveries, vehicles and events scattered all around the map, so this really encourages you to get out there and really explore this vast environment. Long after you've unlocked all of the vehicles and won all of the races, this feature will keep you occupied for a long time. There's good replay value here.
- The character customisation is pretty neat, and allows you to customise your character's clothing and appearance with many cool combinations of helmets, jackets and trousers possible. My favourite is the grey camouflage jacket and combat trousers with flight helmet. Overkill, perhaps, but this game isn't really about realism, it's about having fun.
- The controls seem a bit dodgy with some vehicles, meaning that as I have been seconds from finishing, my vehicle has suddenly and inexplicably veered over to the left or right. And crashed. Causing me to swear a lot. This could be my controller, but I've never had this problem with other games of this type, so there must be something wrong.....
- That's it.
So all in all, a fantastic game that has so much to offer, and at less than a tenner is an absolute steal. I strongly recommend. Thanks for reading :)