5.0 out of 5 stars It's got what it takes to satisfy. But, for heaven's sake, be careful!, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Hey Rock N' Roll The Very Best Of Showaddywaddy (Audio CD)
So, I finally got around to buying another copy of this highly recommended 2-disc product, my previous one having gone the way of so many of my other most treasured possessions... into my ex-wife's clutches. Most of the stuff she grabbed hold of I'm convinced she didn't even want: and, unbelievably, I am fairly certain this product falls into that category. What can I say? The woman clearly has no taste whatsoever.

Then again, it is just possible that she might have kept this for purely sentimental reasons. It's not very likely, but it is possible. After all, we used to listen to this together during the later years of our marriage. Those were the later years when we had very little to say to each other. It's a great shame this compilation wasn't released until 2009, 'cause I daresay it would have helped us a lot during those early years of our marriage when we had very little to say to each other either.

I love the way they've made the first track on here 'Under The Moon Of Love'. It's a fantastically energetic number and manages to stay romantic but without being SO romantic that your wife gets the wrong idea about why you've just shoved it on the CD player. Speaking as a man ('Huh - allegedly'... as my ex-wife would no doubt put it), the phrase 'Let's walk, let's talk under the moon of love...' should leave a woman in no doubt as to how many clothes you still expect to be wearing by the end of your Showaddywaddy listening experience. It probably won't make any difference, but at least you've tried. After that, you've got the perfect excuse to just grab your dancing shoes and trample all over the bunions of your partner.

No? Oh well, that must just be me then.

A word of warning for you gentlemen though: it's just possible that by the time 'Dancin' Party' comes around, you'll be having such a blast that you'll have let your guard down and will thus be completely unprepared for what comes next - 'You Got What It Takes'. Lip synching along to that while you're in the company of a somewhat volatile opponent (sorry, did I say 'opponent'? I meant 'partner', of course...) could conceivably see your head cleaved clean off your shoulders. I know the basic premise of the song is that the object of the singer's affections is the best thing since sliced bread, despite his insinuation that she drives a Ford Escort, resembles the back end of a bus and has to fish around down the back of the sofa in search of beer money, but YOU try getting away with that with your average lady. Go on, I dare you. It'll be no good playing 'Heavenly' straight afterwards and trying to get round her that way, not if my own experiences are anything to go by.

So much so, that I don't think I had ever actually sat and listened to all thirty six songs before. I was always able to enjoy the rest of CD1 on my own, my ex-wife usually having stormed off to lock herself in the bedroom and call her mother. Oh, I always knew I'd have to do something to placate her pretty sharpish, but that never used to stop me putting CD2 on before I did so. 'A Little Bit Of Soap' is perhaps my most favourite tune on here and one that brings a little lump to my throat even now (I'm grieving the loss of my original copy of this, that's all - honest). It's also a track I always used to listen to on the assumption that it might very well be the last thing I ever heard in this lifetime. Then, I would go and try to undo the damage that 'You Got What It Takes' and I had so effortlessly inflicted.

Most of those other 17 songs would pass by pretty much unnoticed, what with my former wife (and her mother) telling me my fortune, me running through my escape plans, and the fact that a lot of them are not really TRULY memorable. By the time we got to Track 33, '(You've Got)Personality' though, I would be desperate just to get her mother off the line. And serenading a beautiful woman with that song is an awful lot safer than taking your chances with 'You Got What It Takes'. Or, at least, it always appeared so at the time. That lyric though, 'What more can I do?' does - and did - have some very unpleasant connotations and always seemed to be the signal for my former wife to shed most of her clothes and to take a fair few of mine along with them. Still, at least it got rid of her mother. At least, I sincerely HOPE it did.

I was pleased to discover that there are no signs of any post-traumatic stress upon listening to this music now. The first disc is a consistently entertaining and toe-tapping delight although, if you ask me, that second disc does, if anything, rather over-egg the Showaddywaddy greatest hits pudding. Still, better to have too much of a good thing than to be left feeling unsatisfied, that's my motto.

Mind you, I'm not so sure I ever gave my ex-wife grounds to be able to agree with that...

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]