5.0 out of 5 stars Thin on characters, but great plot, 5 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Official Highway Code (Paperback)
This was a reluctant purchase; having committed a heinous crime, (38 in a 30 limit) and wishing to avoid three points, I was sentenced to four hours of "Death By PowerPoint," sometimes called a "Speed Awareness Course." I could argue that I was well aware of what speed was beforehand - awareness wasn't the problem, it was sheer carelessness, but we'll let that pass. However, as part of the punishment, I had to fork out for an up-to-date copy of this excellent book. (You might think that as the accompanying fine - sorry, "fee" - was £80, they'd include it, but no.)

Although the course referred only three times, and very briefly, to this great work of English literature, I found I was immediately hooked and absorbed, not so much by the characters, but certainly by the plot. The characters seem somewhat two-dimensional, although the author places them with some skill into a variety of different, and in some cases jolly dangerous, scenarios!

I won't spoil things for you by revealing the plot, but be assured it has so many twists and turns, you'll be left as stunned as I was at the plotmaster's ingenuity. Sometimes, you'll feel as if the characters are heading up a one-way street, then perhaps into a cul-de-sac or over a hump-back bridge, but somehow they manoeuvre their way out and merge back into the mainstream with little more than a glance over the shoulder, a look in the mirror, and a smooth prod of the "loud" pedal... sometimes in a roundabout way, (giving way to other characters approaching from the right) but often more directly, too.

Definitely a book for those sleepless nights or long plan journeys; thrilling, edge-of-seat stuff that I recommend highly. My deep thanks to Amazon for inviting me to offer my review of "The Highway Code."

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Jul 2011 20:24:30 BDT
ms S. Malin says:
Brilliant! Never thought I'd ever be laughing at a review of such a tedious book. I too am about to sit through four hours of "Death By Powerpoint", and after reading this review I simply can't wait to receive my copy!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2011 09:18:32 BDT
To be fair, it has slowed me down a bit and made me think about my driving. Have fun on the course, and enjoy reading the HC, possibly the greatest work of English literature since the classic "The Housing Renewal Grants (Prescribed Form and Particulars) (Revocation) (Wales) Regulations 2011 / Rheoliadau Grantiau Adnewyddu Tai (Ffurflen a Manylion Rhagnodedig) (Dirymu) (Cymru) 2011," which is, according to rumour, about to be turned into a movie. I'm not sure if it's available on Amazon, but you can get it from Her Majesty's Stationery Office.

Posted on 30 Aug 2011 14:19:38 BDT
Amazon's best ever review ! About to go on the speed awareness course myself and on the basis of this review I'll definitely be purchasing in the near future ( like I have a choice ? )

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2011 17:25:39 BDT
Good luck, David. Plenty of strong coffee is also advised!

Posted on 1 Oct 2011 14:00:56 BDT
PS says:
Very funny review.....Thanks

Posted on 12 Dec 2011 16:00:59 GMT
Me too, 36 in a 30mph zone, oh dear should have known better after 10 years of clean driving. Alas I too am going down the 'route' of the 'Speed Awareness Course' in order to avoid 3 points and the obvious nail biting peril of the possibility of an inflated Insurance quote on my renewal (although I have to say isn't it every year now with this 'rip off Britain' we live in?). I too will be purchasing said literature, can't wait! Good review b.t.w. made my day after parting with the £79 for the course :-(

Posted on 19 Dec 2011 00:37:55 GMT
D. Carney says:
After reading your review Philip, I'm quite looking forward to my death by powerpoint session in January! Although I had an offer of Traffic Light Awareness which is currently only available in Gtr Manchester and Merseyside - as my heinous crime was 60 in a 50 dual carraigeway, I thought I'd better opt for the Speed Awareness, although thinking about it the TLA course may of alluded to where the Red Light Cameras are and which one of them are actual speed cameras not Red Light aversion.

Yes I know, speeding can cause accidents when done in the wrong circumstances, but I do feel that they are outdated given the standard of ABS, Tyres etc and as part of the Speed Awareness Course is "group discussion", I wanted to get my point across here, as I don't want to fail my course by stating this fact (I mean they are looking at increasing speed limits on the motorway - need I say more). But I have been caught "breaking the Highway Code" and based on Philip's review, have to go for this book rather than the Kindle edition - Thanks Philip for making me smile

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2011 12:00:35 GMT
Happily, you can't fail it. As long as you attend and stay awake (coffee is free!) you've fulfilled the requirement. And you're free to challenge them on any absurdity you like. I doubt the people at the front care very much - do the maths when you see how many people are in the room with you - it's a nice little earner for someone...

Posted on 8 Feb 2012 15:46:15 GMT
I too have elected for 'death by powerpoint' but as an OAP with this only being my second speeding offence in 40yrs + of driving and would you believe at the same camera I thought I would go to see what its all about. After reading Philip's hilarious review I am looking forward to attending even though it has cost me more than the fine + I have to purchase this book of the year.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 10:54:21 BDT
kay says:
lol your very funny ! have taken 4 hrs of lesson and instructor mentioned if ive read it lol so will purchase as i need to know everything there is to know!!!!!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›