Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

4.0 out of 5 stars A cold-blooded thriller!, 24 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who and the Cave Monsters (Mass Market Paperback)
In the DVD/download/YouTube age, it is so easy to re-discover the gems of your childhood. It's not so very long ago that all you had of your childhood memories were, well, memories.

Nostalgia is a bit of an industry in itself, and people delight in talking about the things they used to watch, or the books they used to read, when they were kids. Very often people will use the "Do you remember....?" as an ice breaker when meeting new people. Something all the talking head nostalgia shows have tapped into.

I loved this book when I was a kid back in the 1980s, and although I've kept most of my Doctor Who Target novelizations, and happily purchased all the Doctor Who VHS and DVD releases, I've been curiously reluctant to revisit the books. It's like one of the last pristine memories that I have. Do you know what I mean? I'd feel like I was overwriting those genuine memories, and then I'd have nothing of the `originals' left, because they were such a massive part of my childhood.

Also, I feared the books may not be as good as I remembered. They are what made me want to be a writer, and were such a source of enjoyment and comfort that I didn't want to spoil them.

These Classic reissues somehow got around that problem. They were the same stories, but with Extras - a bit like the DVD releases. They have their new jackets (although with original illustrations!); introductions from a mixture of modern Who luminaries and classic Who writers; and a Between The Lines feature that examines the book and compares it to the televised show. It felt like buying a new product.

The story here is brilliant. Really clever. It's not alien invaders, it's a race of reptiles who were here on Earth before us! To them, we are the invaders.

The characterization of the Doctor is good and the story feels very modern with it's quandary over energy, sharing the earth's resources, and changes to the environment.

Seven TV episodes are reduced to 45,000 words and it works really well. The story is told with pace and brilliant character moments. The books may have been intended for children, but like the best children's books, they weren't patronizing and they contained a lot of adult concerns.

Somewhere, recently, I read a review or a foreword, or something - about one of my favourite extracts from Doctor Who and the Cave Monsters. (Unless I dreamed that I did. I thought it was some kind of interview with Russell T Davies, but I might be getting mixed up.) Anyway, the bit of the book that I'm referring to is when the character of Miss Dawson is reflecting on her life. She considers herself now to be a spinster, although she's only in her 30s.

"In her heart Miss Dawson feared the moment when people would stop asking `Why don't you get married?' and replace it
with the dread, `Why *didn't* you get married?'"

It's brilliant, and I remember being struck by that piece as a child. Such a brilliant lesson in writing. Illustrating something in a character's life without ploddingly just stating "she was disappointed that she never got married." I love that kind of thing, and the Doctor Who books were full of such clever little moments.

I'd recommend Doctor Who and the Cave Monsters to ... anyone. Kids, adults, fans of the new series, anyone. Give it a try, You won't be disappointed. The stories in the classic series were every bit of good as today, and the books act as a leveller between the gap in what was possible to film in the 70s and the modern show.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jul 2012 13:07:22 BDT
Stevos, you're right on the button.

I remember this book (and the TV serial it was based on) really making me THINK about the issues back in my 70s childhood. The Silurians (let's call them that for convenience) were the alien monster invaders. But hang on - they're not aliens, they're from Earth! They're not monsters, they have a civilisation! They're not invaders, they were here first! This is weird, I remember thinking, all my perceptions are being turned upside down! If there's a monster here, a villain, it's the abstract concept of dislike for the unlike. It's fear of the unknown. The Silurians are people too! (Well perhaps not in those actual words, of course). Malcolm Hulke excelled at this sort of thing, even more so in his novelisations than on TV.

I only wish I still had my first 1974 Target edition.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›