3.0 out of 5 stars Great looking 7-port USB hub - issue with powering all devices, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Satechi 7 Port USB 3.0 Premium Aluminium Hub for iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook, and Mac Mini (White Trim) (Personal Computers)
I like the look of this 7-port hub, which in my opinion compliments the iMac very well. I have some issues however:

1. it fails to power correctly my iPad mini 2nd generation - I have to plug this direct in the iMac for it to charge - when I plug it into the powered hub, I get a message informing me it is not charging.
2. it would have been much tidier to have the power and main USB cables connecting at the back. Imagine when this is plugged in, it does not look as cool as in their photos, instead it has a power cable and USB cable sticking out each end of the device, taking up valuable desktop space and making it look untidy
3. it lights up everything - not an issue to use this during the day, my home office is on the same open-plan floor as my main bedroom - this means at night I can see a blue glow through the star is coming from around the corner in my home office - originating from this USB HUB. A way to turn off the light would be great. I don't want to have to cover this over or switch off my mac each time I go to bed.
4. Price - it is vastly more expensive in the UK than it is in the US. No idea how they justify the difference. I think I would not have complained about price if they had designed the power and main USB cables interface a bit better, i.e. have them sticking out the back instead of the sides plus had a way to disable the blue lights (no idea why I need these to be part of this gadget)

So, given the above issues, I would give 2.5 out of 5 starts, but as this is not possible with Amazon, I will go with 3, as i do still like it, even if I will replace it given the chance and a better designed USB 3.0 HUB.

A quick note about the failure to power the iPad mini - I have no issues with any other devices like external USB HDDs.

Update: 22 Jan 14: I have had to unplug this, as when it is plugged in my Keyboard drops connection - I believe this is a general USB 3.0 issue with HUBS, though not sure why this cannot be shielded so it does not interfere. If I cannot find a solution (I will check to see if I can buy shielding) I will have to ask Amazon to take it back as no use if it blocks my keyboard and I don't have room for a wide, wired keyboard.

[Add comment]