3.0 out of 5 stars Wishy Washy Colours, 7 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Acer S240HLBID 24-inch Monitor 16:9 FHD LED 5 ms 100M:1 A DVI w/HDCP HDMI Acer EcoDisplay (Accessory)
Bought this for only £150 off of Amazon warehouse deals thinking I was getting a bargain. Product was checked over and "like new" so what could be wrong?

Well as soon as I turned it on I found a dead pixel, but one that was permanently blue so it stood out quite a bit on anything other than a blue background, probably the reason the previous owner returned this product to Amazon!

Bought primarily for my PS3 it showed a high resolution image at 1080p which I was quite impressed with, however the image didn't seem to be quite as sharp or crisp as I expected, I think this is largely due to the matte screen finish which gives the impression you are viewing the image through frosted glass. Then again I am used to a gloss monitor.

Colours didn't jump out the screen at me and were nothing more special than my laptop screen, I spent plenty of time tweaking, blacks were VERY grey and brown, the whole screen had a green tinge, reds were note very vibrant at all. The overall appearance was of very washed out colours. However again I think a lot of this might be due to the fact it is a matte screen and I have grown used to a glossy one. Increasing the contrast seemed to be a second brightness control, and even with the ACM enabled the contrast was nothing impressive. Overall the inbuilt menus provided VERY LITTLE IMAGE TUNING options, and the 5 presets that were provided barely changed the image.

On top of this the VGA / D-sub port decided to be temper mental and at first my laptop would display through and then sometimes it wouldn't displaying "no signal". The HDMI port also displayed artefacts on the screen when my laptop was connected, however I feel this MAY be due to me only having integrated low performance graphics.

Aesthetically the monitor is stunning, super slim and a fairly sturdy stand, all plugs easily accessibly at the back. I'm just disappointed the image didn't live up to my expectations, so I returned the item to get another glossy screened monitor.

Perhaps I got a faulty one? The other reviews were all so great...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Feb 2012 11:20:34 GMT
RedSquirrel says:
I was also disappointed by the green tinge on my monitor when connected to my laptop and I spent a lot of time adjusting the colours using the monitor controls. Eventually, I discovered the configuration program for my graphics card did a better job of reducing the green bias. Out of curiosity I connected the monitor to a laptop with a different graphics chip and was surprised to discover there was no green tinge!

Posted on 18 May 2012 18:01:58 BDT
A. BARSI says:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=204565, this fixes the black levels on the monitor! tried and tested. make sure you follow Infinity7's instructions to step by step.

Posted on 18 May 2012 18:02:34 BDT
A. BARSI says:

Posted on 9 Jun 2012 19:59:49 BDT
M. Roth says:
If you buy it in a like new state that most likely means it has been returned by by someone.

Do you think you were being a bit naive thinking the screen would be in A1 condition? When buying something like a monitor you're just asking for trouble buying one that somebody has previously used.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›