Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Kindle Oasis Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Fire

4.0 out of 5 stars Robust and Powerful - For Me, A Couple of Foibles, 10 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Draper 20502 1010W 230V Hammer Drill (DIY & Tools)
I already have a 550W B&D hammer drill which despite being some 20 years old still performs well. But, it occasionally falls-short on power for stout masonry drilling and as Amazon had this more powerful drill on a 'Lightning Deal' of £48 (8 Oct 13), and I think my B&D might eventually conk-out, I took the plunge.

The specification of this Draper drill satisfied all my requirements, most significantly that it bucks the recent 'trend' by having a keyed-chuck - as opposed to the more usual keyless variety on 'modern' non-SDS drills, which don't convince me as being as good at holding a drill bit (I can swallow the extra effort of using a chuck key for the advantage I still feel it gives).

*** I have added a post to the 'Customer Discussions' section at the base of this item page which has the Internet URL to the manufacturer's website so you can view/download the product owner's manual in pdf format.

The day after receiving it I put it to the test....

It performed well and was clearly more effective than my B&D drill - that doubling of power is quite obvious when drilling hard material.

[For me though, it does have a couple of (probably minor) ergonomic foibles....]

The drill is well-made and robust, has a very decent-length cable and a sturdy custom blow-moulded case (with good closure catches), which has generous-enough internal space to make 're-packing' the drill quite easy.

The drill comes with a depth gauge and an easily-adjusted front handle, which can readily be rotated to the angle which best suits the user as it is secured by twisting it (rather than fastening using screws for example) - it is also held in place with lugs.

I did notice the extra weight that this drill clocks in at vs my B&D, but found it still to be quite manageable - I do think however that the ideal option is to have 2 different 'weight'/size drills, such as I now have, as you can then 'swap' to the lighter model for less demanding jobs or if your arms get tried (as mine eventually did !).

This Draper drill is no noisier than my B&D, which was a pleasant surprise, and you can definitely feel the gearbox/drilling/hammer action doing it's stuff for you - I got the feeling that tough drilling was achieved more by the drill than my muscular contribution when I compare it to my B&D (drilling the same material with the same drill bit) !

However, I'm still not convinced that the 'Ergonomic design with soft grip handle' is as comfortable for me as my old B&D and I definitely don't like the recessed trigger-lock button, which I find is (surprisingly) a real pain to reach and, whilst using the drill, I've yet to master pushing it in properly to achieve 'lock' - all too often it has disengaged whilst I'm drilling...

That irritating foible could well remain with me forever, but I will eventually get used to the odd drill/hammer selection slide-switch - which I find is a little too 'floppy' for my liking (it has occasionally disengaged) and is selected with the reverse 'logic' to what I expect (and also how my B&D drill is used) eg you slide it to the 'Drill' graphic for hammer drilling and hence to the 'Hammer' graphic for normal drilling - for me, odd !

So, despite some (presently) major misgivings about the trigger-lock button I'm pleased with the purchase - BUT I think that both the RRP and Amazon price (£78, as at 8 Oct 13) are too high and the 'Lightning Deal' price is much more realistic.

[Add comment]