4.0 out of 5 stars Works well - but not perfect, 29 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Plustek OpticFilm 7300 35mm film scanner (Office Product)
I'm working my way through scanning a lifetime of slides - over 2500. The 7300 does a workman like job using 'Quickscan' which gives little control over the final result. 'Intelliscan' is far too complex and long winded. I've used it a few times and simply gave up.

'Quickscan' results are fine, but may appear to lack contrast and depth. Remember that the amount of detail and colour in a slide is absolutely enormous, and (I'm sure)no electronic scan will ever capture the full depth of the original slide - at least, not at this sort of price.

I'm fortunate that I have software that came with my Nikon digital SLR that allows me to 'add contrast'. This improves 90% of the scans, but some don't respond.

The scanner is well built, and seems tough. The slide and negative carriers seem robust enough to last a long time.

To sum up: An excellent scanner, but don't expect to capture 100% of the full glory of your old slides.

One tip: Be sure to do regular back up of your scans. Scanning is a slow process - especially if you have a lot to do - and you'll want to know the time and effort isn't wasted if your computer fails.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Jan 2010 17:08:07 GMT
I too have a number of 35mm slides, 3000 in fact and I have been looking for months now for a decent performing scanner with a respectable price tag. To be honest a lot of the reviews i have read have left me feeling confused and un sure as to how I should attempt to convert them. Thank You for your review can i ask would this scanner work with an external peice of software to enhance the images? if so which software would you recommend? One last question how long does it take to scan one 35mm slide? Many many thanks for your help. David Walker (feel free to email me if it is more convenient for you, the_walker@hotmail.co.uk)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2010 12:43:38 GMT
Wooster says:
I don't think you can use anyone else's software to run the Plustek scanner. The icons that appear on your PC screen have direct control on the scanner. You have to click on the 'scan' icon to get the scanner to respond. However, it is a simple operation.

What I found 100% confusing was the 'enhance your slide' software that came with the scanner. I tried it a few times with mixed and confusing results, so gave up. So I just used the 'quick scan' button. This (I think) it took about 30 seconds to scan each slide. Add a few minutes to remove the scanned slide and put in a new one. Multiply by the number of slides you have... and it's a long and slow process. It's pretty tedious, but it was a real trip down memory lane!

I have a Nikon Digital SLR camera, which came with some 'enhancing' software. I started to use it to 'enhance' some of the poorer slides, but I quickly realised it was going to take far too long to do all of them. I could spend 5 minutes (per scanned slide) clicking on 'sharpen', 'enhance colour', 'increase contrast' (etc) on the Nikon software. 5 minutes times 2500 slides is over 200 hours work. I gave up! I'm happy to know I've scanned the slides. If I need to 'enhance' any of the scanned slides, I can do it when required.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›