4.0 out of 5 stars Added a second iPod to my iTunes - now running a mini and a 30GB video, 2 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Apple iPod - 30GB - White [video playback] MA002FB/A (Electronics)
Having got frustrated that the iPod Mini I'd had for 18 months could only fit half of my music collection, I Upgraded to this 30GB iPod Video.

First suprise was that the iPod Video is only a couple of millimetres wider and taller than the iPod Mini, and it truly is, very very slim.

Two minor things I don't like about the iPod Video: the click wheel - it's not as tactile as the one on the iPod mini and it's less easy to use without looking at it. It's disconcerting to feel the disk start up with a click and a whirr when it's accessing your music.

Everything else about it I love - very quick to sync; the screen clarity and resolution is superb - shows the Casino Royale 'making of' vodcasts beautifully.

We now use both iPods and can synchronise them both with iTunes symultaneously.

Adding a second iPod to my existing iTunes installation really was simple. I already had the latest version of iTunes installed (6.0.5) but, before plugging in the new iPod, I still ran the install disk supplied with the iPod Video 'just in case'. It seamlessly left my existing iTunes and thousands of songs intact and in about two minutes it had installed the iPod and started synchronising.

I now have the iPod mini and iPod Video plugged into separate USB ports and they happily co-exist in iTunes which will synchronise both of them at the same time.

Right click on each iPod in iTunes and choose preferences, this lets you set the synchronise behaviour for each iPod separately. I use a couple of playlists to synchronise a subset of my library to the 4GB mini, but I just let the 30GB video synchronise the whole collection as well as photos from the Adobe Album and contacts from Outlook.

Some stats on the storage: of the 30GB about 27.8GB is actually usable. I've synchronised 2650 songs, about 10mins of video, 68 photos and 100 contacts. That's only used up about 9GB.

Would I buy one again - yes. It was tempting to wait for the iPod widescreen - if you check the website of the American Patent Office the replacement for the click wheel is going to be awesome; but I bet it's not going to be here for a while and I bet it'll be a lot more than £184.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]