How watching tv damages you,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Remotely Controlled: How television is damaging our lives (Paperback)
This is a very interesting book about the damaging effects of watching television.
I am going to try to give up the tv based on the appalling statistic that on average we spend 12 YEARS of our short lives watching the tv. What a waste. How much more fulfilled and complete we would be as human beings if we spent this time getting to know other people face to face. How much more complete people were as humans in the 1940's before widespread tv.
Dr Sigman describes the terrible damage done by tv viewing, for example;
1. It seriously affects the brain/mental development of the young (young children under three years old should not watch tv). Certainly when I was growing up I was highly conscious about how tv was adversely affecting me.
2. People, especially children, lose sleep, and become depressed, unfit and obese.
3. Children's ability to plan is reduced, they are more likely to bully others and be aggressive and they are unable to concentrate leading to children who find it difficult to learn in a normal classroom.
4. People are less likely to interact with others, and more likely to be depressed and aggressive.
5. Marital relationships are worsened, leading to separation and divorce.
6. Perceptions of others are distorted eg. how people view those of the opposite sex.
7. Murder and violent crimes are doubled when tv is introduced into a new society.
Dr Sigman appears to recommend tv should be rationed to less than one hour a day.
I am only half way through reading this book, but based on what I have read so far I am now of the opinion that we would all be much better off if tv was totally banned.
I do regard this book as important because it made me aware how damaging tv is to one's mental development, intellect, happiness, health and personal relationships. Time to get rid of the tv.