1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing!, 8 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Diabetes Cookbook (British Diabetic Association) (Paperback)
This book is beautifully printed and well laid out. However, the content is very disappointing. There is good information at the beginning about the disease. The recipe section is not what I would call 'everyday' and includes, for example, in the starters section 'goat's cheese crostini with hazelnut salsa' and in the main meals section 'Thai prawn & Vegetable Curry' and 'Pork and Coriander Meatballs with Tomato Sauce'. All very nice but not what most people, with busy working lives, would have time to do. I was hoping for 'ordinary' recipes, adapted for diabetics with advice on substitutions for everyday ingredients. I suppose if you want the occasional dish for something different, this is ok but it wasn't for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Apr 2010 13:34:58 BDT
LD - Norwich says:
I too am looking for everyday 'ordinary' recipes which have been adapted so I am very glad of this information.Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2015 09:26:27 GMT
Did either of you find a good 'ordinary' diabetic recipe book you could recommend?

Posted on 13 May 2016 11:10:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 May 2016 11:15:36 BDT
Digger Dawg says:
** If anyone wants this book, they can have my one FREE OF CHARGE!! (I'll even pay the postage). Just message or comment and I will post it to you (UK only). Surely someone will find it useful to them? **

I give this book 3 stars out of 5.

The 3 stars are for the first section of the book, and the rest fails due to the recipes which are only (apparently) for the "upper classes" (for looks, presentation and ingredients!)

Ok - this comment is taking place 13 years after your review - but I am a "new" diabetic (Type 1 for 2 years), and am still attending clinic appointments and reviews.

I was given this book yesterday by my diabetes Nurse, and said it would be ideal for me. I flicked through the book there and then, and it was all "fancy" meals that looked like they'd been made by Jamie Oliver or Nigella Lawson. What I call "Posh Nosh". I laughed out loud and said "yer joking aren't you?"

The reason is, I am a biker. Not a creaky-clean-leather weekend bike rider....a PROPER 365 day a year, all weather, oily hands, filthy face, scruffy beard, fly splattered clothes, biker.

"I take your point, she said, "but at least the front part is interesting".

The front section of the book (maybe 30 pages) before the recipes is all about the disease, and explains it all in the DK publishers way of clear, precise, excellent pictures and not too technical. I found reading this a LOT better than most of the literature the Diabetes clinic Doctors and Nurses threw at me. Back then, it was a brain overload! But this book, (for the first section) is ideal and has ALL the information I need in a nutshell.

As for the recipes, I have to revert back to the phrase "Posh Nosh", and I would say they are NOT suitable for everyday folk who need something to eat. We need fast, quickly made meals. Easy to prepare with little farting about. I agree with you on the recipes - we don't have time to a) source all those fancy ingredients, and b) stand preparing it all. And lets not mention what it would cost to make all this. Ridiculous I think!

I have a few diabetic books, all saying they contain "food for diabetics". I was told by the Consultant that they are all a waste of time, as they all contradict each other.

My cause is made even worse now, as not only am I Type 1 diabetic, but the last few months has seen me positive for Coeliac disease too. Now, it was bad enough with the Type 1 limiting what I can eat....but at least then I could still eat stuff with wheat and gluten. Now, with being Coeliac, I have to rule all that out too. I am living on next to nothing now, and so this book is now 100% not suitable for me....

The Nurse doesn't want it back, so maybe someone else could use it? Again, free-gratis. Or it'll go in the bin, 'cos I'm not one to haul stuff to a charity shop...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›