4 of 13 people found the following review helpful
, 2 April 2010
This review is from: Xbox LIVE Gold 12-Month Membership Card (Xbox One/360) (Accessory)
What Xbox Live does above all else is to expose the rampant greed of most software publishers/developers. With a few notable exceptions (top marks to Frontlines: Fuel of War, Civilisation Revolution, Fable II, Forza 3 and FIFA 10), to get anything worth having you will have to pay through the nose for it, and that's on top of the money it costs you for the Gold membership. I was not surprised in the least to see that Ubisoft was head and shoulders above the competition with Assassin's Creed II, offering nothing but pricey downloads from the off. So, PC users, it's not just you that gets ripped off by Ubisoft.
As for online-play: I had one game of FIFA 10 (drawing 1-1 with a possible human, but also a possible bot for all the interaction I had with whomever I was playing), but I won't be rushing back for more. That just means that playing online isn't for me, so no negatives to Microsoft there.
* Online gaming.
* A few decent free downloads if the developers have bothered. Otherwise, expect to spend more on a game you thought you'd already paid for.
* "Premium" downloads cost a small fortune.
* Boring videos to fill up your hard drive, which you can watch on You Tube or elsewhere with a lot less hassle.
* Anything of any substance takes ages to download.
* The alphabetical listing of downloads is a mess. Some are out of alphabetical order, some are listed as acronyms and some aren't, and anything that starts with "The", like The Beatles: Rock Band, is listed under "T" What???
Finally, to quote Microsoft: "Marketplace: Gold Members get early and exclusive access to select downloads, trailers, videos, and more."
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?