1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 11 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Wonders Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Wonder of solar system = 5 stars. Wonder of the univers pe = 0 star! This tv series is much about Brians traveling around the globe than the universe itself. Wonders of solar system is very fun to watch and rock music on background is great. And I think for children it might be great to watch too. But Wonders of the universe is truly painfully boring. Its all about Brians ego ego and brians ego again. That 2nd series is waste of money and he said nothing new that Carl Sagan didnt said 30 years ago. I suggest to watch Carl Sagans's Cosmos series that are still, after 30years, still profound and with eternal questions thal all mankind still strugle to resolve. Sagan's Cosmos is legendary. Bbc series about Brian is pure ego to me. Its should be called: "Wonders where Brian travelled" instead.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Oct 2011 17:38:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Oct 2011 17:41:09 BDT
Interesting how we both can watch the same program and both have complete opposite experiences. For me the fact that the presenter travels the earth and shows by similar examples what goes on within the universe makes what he speaks of understandable to me, puts it in a kind of perspective. Probably others do not need that as I do. For example when someone speaks of the pyramid's in Egypt mentioning that so and so is this big or that weight, I often ask my husband to put it into elephants. What I mean is, that when someone says that rock has the same weight as 4 elephants than I can relate to that where as when someone speaks of 3 tons or 100 tons it does not do anything for me. By traveling the earth as you mention this presenter makes it understandable to me which in turn add to the pleasure watching this program. (yes I know....elephants...??? but hey that seems to work for me)
Kindest regards.

Posted on 8 Dec 2011 20:13:41 GMT
Well I have both and they are both brilliant. Showing us the earth sciences is an angle on astronomy that is a sage one, meaning we can use this earth as allegory and feel part of the universe, since it's the same laws of physics...

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2011 23:47:10 GMT
The book is of the wonder of the universe is miles better than the TV programs and it a joy to look at.

Posted on 5 Oct 2012 21:36:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2012 22:01:32 BDT
You are absolutely right. But still very informative. So I have learned two things:
1. Cox is the center of our solar system - since he is almost always in the middle of any picture.
2. One astronomical time unit is the maximum length of time we do "not" see Cox center stage before he appears again - an incident not often witnessed, but if it happens it can be clocked at about 20 seconds or so.

The fact that he is doing profane things (like sitting in a restaurant, driving a car, reading a booklet, etc.) but is always gleeing like a child, i guess, has absolutely nothing to do with the intended purpose of this production.

The only thing I WHOOANDER is why I became sick half an hour into it, every time I tried to watch this egocentric voyage.

Posted on 19 Oct 2012 17:48:05 BDT
Flora Cake says:
I do love Brian's passion for his subject, and I do not think that he would have had such a central part to the programme of his own accord, there would have been other reasons why he is so central to the screen so much of the time. Attenborough always was, and I have not seen anyone complain about him!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (223 customer reviews)

£29.99 £7.20