5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, but a pig to install!, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A 140 mm CPU Cooler Silent Fan for Socket 775/1155/1156/1366/AMD/AM2/AM3 (Accessory)
Initially I swapped from a stock Intel cooler (i5 2500K) and got myself a Corsair H80i water cooling setup. That was OK but after initially thinking it was quiet, I decided to return it and try out this HR-02 Macho.

I guess it would be more straightforward to install with the motherboard removed, but I was able to access the back of the board while it was in the case. With a bit of patience and some swearing, I had installed in about 20 minutes. It's quite fiddly to locate the screws and I found it easier to do the one which is accessed down through the heatsink first.

I've got two 140mm corsair fans in the front of the case, drawing air in towards the Thermalright fan, which is blowing through the heatsink towards the back of the case. At the back of the case I have another Corsair 120mm fan blowing out the warm air. It's close enough to the heatsink to be helping to suck the air through the heatsink too.

The fans at idle are all set to be running at about 550rpm so as you can imagine they're pretty much silent. At full speed the HR-02 fan become audible but in no way is it noticable.

I've run Prime95 for about 45 minutes and the core temps never went about 52 degrees. A few days earlier I'd done the same test with the stock cooler and it was hitting 95 degrees. Even the H80i was giving around 62 degrees.

I've done everything I can with stress testing to hit higher temperatures but it's not happening!

A word of warning, it's huge! I have a Corsair 300R case and an Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard. To get this item to fit I've had to move my two ram sticks to slots 2 and 4 from 1 and 3. So if ever I want add more RAM I'll be struggling. My RAM is HyperX Beast with the heatinks, so I'm not sure if I removed those heatsinks it would fit better. Hope that makes sense!

All in all a brilliant piece of kit though and, in my opinion, far superior to the H80i water cooling.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]