4.0 out of 5 stars Superb for the money !! But not perfect !!, 4 Sept. 2013
Got my light next day delivery from UK seller through Prime....bonus.
OK...good solid construction...head unit very nice and well sealed with light and positive switch action...excellent. Battery connection nice and positive snap action, very secure. Battery bag could do with two straps but not a big issue.O ring attachment to bars a weak point on a rigid bike as it does move with jarring hits off road and on but again not a major issue. On a plush front suspension bike it pretty much stays put. I have mounted mine rigidly to a Lumicycle QR bar clamp eliminating what was only a minor irritation anyway.
Main reason for buying this light was for the claimed light output compared to the single LED versions I have been using for a while now. Theres now an influx of these multi LED lamps about and the prices are coming down.
Of the three modes of steady light the Mode 1-single LED is bright with a decent spread of light close to the bike as well as distance....excellent. Mode 2 (2 LED's on) is a disappointment as its adds very little (if any) extra useable light apart from a barely brighter, wider halo...strange one that ??
Mode 3 with all LED's blazing gives a big boost all round to the beam pattern of Mode 1...but at the expense of battery life.
Put simply I wanted this light to be Bright...Brighter...Brightest but that second mode is a mystery, unless I have a bad one maybe. Despite the claims for battery life I would expect 3, 2 or 1 hours respectively through mode 1, 2 and 3. As it is now I will use mainly 1 with occasional 3 as mode 2 adds nothing useful and will use extra power I assume. This is a bit of a let down for me....that said....excellent product for what you pay. I have not tested battery life as yet but it seems to hold charge well for now + these cells tend to get better with the first few charge/discharge cycles anyway. Big plus is the flashing green LED in the switch on the rear of the lamp telling you battery is connected, as this is not constantly on this should conserve battery power if left connected for a while. As far as I know there is no low battery warning (usually red LED) in the switch so be prepared for sudden blackout if your not careful with your timings between charges. Always worthwhile carrying a back up light or battery anyways.
Only 4/5 stars because of the Mode 2 issue....otherwise its superb.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Sep 2013 12:18:24 BDT
Hi
Thank you for your review. I found it really useful. I got one of these the other day. I get to properly try it out tomorrow night when I cycle home from work on the unlit roads.
What I was wondering is when I connect the battery lead to the light lead there is a white flash. Do you get that? Is this normal?
Regards,

Jo

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2013 23:12:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Sep 2013 23:14:54 BDT
xtcboi says:
Hi Jo....thanks for your comments....I did go on a bit !!! Yes the white flash appears to be normal with these lights when you connect....I have other types which do the same. There is also a flashing green LED in the switch on the back to indicate battery connected...does yours have this. I would also like to ask you about the mode 2 issue I had....how does yours behave ??
As it happens I tested the battery the weekend and found it gives me 1h 10 mins on full....3 hours 20 min on middle...not tested on low yet.
Regards...DALE.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 19:57:55 BDT
Hi dale,
Thanks for your reply. I haven't used it yet. I thought I'd be using it the last few nights but I've been lucky enough to catch the last train home. I will be using it Thursday night when I cycle 7 miles home with 15 mins of total darkness, so that will be interesting. I have used it in the house and I kinda see what you mean about the 2nd setting, it's just the same as the first and the 3rd one boosts it. But I will try it out Thursday night when I ride home and I'll get back to you :)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 22:43:30 BDT
xtcboi says:
Thanks for your observation and reporting back.
When I tested the battery it ran for 3 h 20 mins in mode two which suggests to me the two leds are not running at full power but trying to give a better light spread rather than increase the light output from mode 1, therefore drawing a similar power from the battery as mode 1 I guess. Mode three gives a big boost indeed at the expense of battery life...1 h 10 mins I tested it at. I will soon be testing the unit in mode 1 see how it then compares to mode 2. I simply charge the battery then switch it all on with a fan keeping the lamp cool as they do need a bit of moving air to keep things cool...especially at full power...not a problem when you are riding of course. I feel this is a good way to condition the pack for maximum performance as battery experts do state that Li-ion packs improve after the first few full charge/discharge cycles. I was hoping to get 1.5 hours on full power so I am hoping taking the time and cycling the battery like this will give the best possible run times moving forward. That said the lowest power setting will do me for 90% of my riding so I'm fairly content with the unit overall. I look forward to any further comment you may have and thanks again for the feedback Jo....take care for now.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2013 11:16:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Sep 2013 11:18:04 BDT
Hi Dale,
Well I left Guildford train station at 01:15 and cycled back to Woking at 02:00. The new light is fantasic! I only needed the 1st light for most of the journey with only using the 2nd light a couple of time to help me out. The 2nd light on mine gives it a boost, so it is working. I'm not sure about yours now then. Maybe your one might have a fault? The 3rd light does add on a more of a boost but it's not really needed unless for reassurance.
Take care with cycling now as it's starting to leaf fall and bloody acorns are a bugger too.
Anyone reading this and thinking about maybe buying this light I would say definitely buy it, what have you got to lose at the price. I almost bought one on here for £135. I'm so glad I didn't now.
I hope the battery doesn't burn out too quickly tho, you do get what you pay for as they say.
Take care Dale.

Posted on 6 Jan 2014 23:21:19 GMT
Hey thanks for the review! I'm curious, how did you fit it to the Lumicycle clamp - do you need to take the light apart to remove the existing plastic base (that you have to attach the rubber o-ring to)? I just didnt want to get a new clamp if it involved some heavy engineering ;)

Thanks...
Rob

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2014 07:22:06 GMT
bazer says:
i find hopes clamp works great with these lights

Posted on 8 Feb 2014 14:45:53 GMT
Hi

I think the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. I never got more than 1 hour on strobe or setting 1.

Last week the charger failed so I wrote to the supplier asking for a replacement charger and battery set. The reply was that they had run out of stock but were going to refund me £8.

I have since sourced a proper charger and battery set - cost me £40. I just hope that the light - which is robust and looks well made - keeps on going.

Billthecoder

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2014 15:01:41 GMT
no that is not normal. I think you have a fault
‹ Previous 1 Next ›