4.0 out of 5 stars LG G2!! What a Revelation !! ( Updated Review 25 September 2014 ), 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: LG G2D802 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Android, 16GB) (Electronics)
Please find my updated thoughts on the phone at the end of the review. Thanks
--------------------------------------

LG noooo way!!!! yes thats what we all end up saying once someone mentions LG to us . Everyone gets so much put off when they hear about LG and mobile phones. And guess what i plunged into the LG pond a few weeks ago and honestly dont feel like i made the wrong choice. I have spent enough time with the G2 to share my thoughts with the wider community and I am going to rate the phone in Five major areas ( the most important to an average consumer ).

Build Quality 4/5 :

The very first thing that grabs your attention is the screen and the way its been made to fit with no bezels ( or hardly any bezels ) & it just adds to the beauty of the phone.The body is made from plastic or polycarbonate in a typical Korean way ( more or less like Samsung Galaxy S4 ) but fits well underneath that beautiful screen.The power button and volume rocker is at the back of the phone just underneath the camera.They fit well and have a nice feeling to them when you use them & you eventually get used to of using them. I have read and also heard some people complaining about the cracking sound that the body makes when you push it in certain ways. Yes thats true but its not something which bothers me much as i am not gonna push the body hard with my fingers or palm. Why the hell would you do that in the first place anyway. I did use the phone without a case for the first few days and never heard no cracking sound. Yes when you push it hard around the edges and with your fingers in certain areas around the back then you do hear a cracking sound. But that holds true for Samsung Galaxy phones as well. In fact it is true for any phone made from plastic as plastic is a flexible material and it can make cracking sounds.So people stop worrying about the build quality as there is nothing wrong with it and there is no need to start returning your phone just because it makes cracking sounds. The phone is made to last and most people will buy a case anyway so its a pointless discussion. Overall i am very satisfied with the build quality and please stop comparing it with HTC One (which i still own ) as that phones build quality is simply outstanding and G2 can not match that.

Screen 5/5 :

This damn screen is a real treat to watch.Its an IPS LCD with Gorilla Glass 2.I have always been a fan of IPS LCD type of screens as colors on them are more natural compared to Super AMOLED types which are just a bit too overstaurated for my liking.It matches HTC Ones Screen ( Industry leading ) quality with style even though it only has 424 ppi ( a bit less then HTC Ones 469 ppi ). But putting both the phones together it was so hard for me to pick up the better screen as human eye can simply not pick up the Pixels at such a high resolution of 1080P. G2 screen is slightly bigger at 5.2" but still the phones body measures the same as HTC One ( 4.7" screen size ) and Galaxy S4 ( 5" screen size ). They have manage to do it by reducing the bezels and stretching the screen to all four corners. Results are outstanding and you have a screen which matches the size of the very first Galaxy Note ( 5.2" ). Few years ago we could never imagine holding the screen size equivalent to that of the Galaxy Note in a smaller body. The screen also has a Knock-ON feature which enables you to turn the phone on & off just by double tapping on it.Knock-ON occassionally needs more then a few taps on the screen but 98% of the time works flawlessly. An update from LG is on the way and hopefully it will make it work even better then before. The colors on the screen are flawless and very natural.Its one of the best screens i have seen out of the many phones that i have owned over the last few years. Screen is one of the two biggest factors for me buying this phone. Read on and lets see if you can spot my second favourite thing on the LG G2.

Peformance 4.5/5 :

LG G2 is powered by the latest and greatest Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chipset running at 2.27 GHz & backed up by 2GB RAM. Peformance as we can expect is fluid,smooth,responsive and very fast. In some ways its shocking because i never expected LG to come out with a phone like the G2. They have come from no where and just produced a hell of a phone with great performance. I know they had phones like Optimus G and Optimus G Pro but them phones never took off the way G2 did. Obviously marketing did help LG in a lot of ways but marketing alone G2 is an exeptionally innovative and different phone from the likes of Galaxy set of phones. Firstly Knock-On is a show stealer and i use it everyday. The funny thing is that sometimes i use my knuckles to switch the screen on ( for checking messages ) specially when i am eating. You get so used to of this that you find it hard to adjust to pushing the buttons again to switch the screen on. It kinda spoils you lol if you know what i mean. LG skin on top of 4.2.2 is full of features and so much so that you start to think that it will effect the peformance of the phone. But amazingly the phone hardly lags or stutters ( occasionally it does in the widgets section or here & there sometimes but it is very managable and doesnt ruin your overall experience). All apps run smoothly and heavy games like GT Racing 2,Robocop,Deer Hunter,Real Racing 3 & many more run with no problems at all. Phone is fully packed with many many features ( like a top end Galaxy phone ) but still runs better then a Galaxy S4 ( i have lived with an S4 as well ). All in all performace is brilliant and with the 4.4.2 KitKat update due sometime in March things will only get better. I will update my review like my other reviews accordingly.

Camera 4.5/5 :

The camera on the LG G2 is very good if not the best. Its a 13MP Camera with OIS ( Optical Image Stablization ). I am not a fan of OIS on the G2 as it doesnt work as flawlessly as LG say it does. I generally have to rely on a steadier hand rather then OIS for my shots to be clear and accurate. But once you have taken the shot the right way then the results are outstanding and the picture quality is amazing. Colors are very natural and they have a real feeling to them. The three buttons at the back can also be configured to your liking to take a photo. Any of the three buttons can be used as a shutter button for snaps. The camera can can also record 1080P video footage and day time recording is very clear and accurate. It does struggle on video in low light conditions though and the lens sometimes struggles to focus on objects which is a shame because LG could have done a better job on that. But i am sure its more to do with the software then the hardware itself & future updates should fix these minor flaws. Low light performace on the camera side is outstanding and i am going to go as far as to say that G2 is the only other phone which can match the might of HTC One in low light performance. If you are a photo enthusiast you will love the camera on this phone with only a few compromises ( soon to be fixed with future updates ) To help you make your mind up let me put it this way. I am enjoying the camera on the G2 more then i enjoyed it on my HTC One in the last 10 months specially cuz of the higher Mega Pixels on the camera and work done by LG. Enough said !!!! :-)

Battery 6/5 :

Yes its not a mistake people. I have given the battery 6 out of 5 same way as a loving husband would rate his wife when he is in love with her just to make her feel extra special lol. This is exactly how i feel about the LG G2. Battery on this phone is extra special and something which i have never experienced before and i am so much in love with it. I am totally and thorougly in love with the battery life of this phone. This phone can last me all day no matter what i do with it. My general usage includes Whtsapp,Viber,Facebook,listening to music for a couple of hours ,surfing the internet and reading tech articles for a good few hrs,few videos on YouTube and various other internet related activities. This kinda usage has the ability to drain any top end phone within 14 to 16 hours but not the G2. This monster can go on & on & on & on and by the time i get to bed it will still have 40% battery life left. On few occassions i refused to charge it up to see how far it would take me into the second day. It did a marvelous job on standy times on that night ( by hardly draining the battery.... only 1% in 8 hours reminding me of the Sonys Battery Stamina Mode on my former Xpeira Z but G2 does it by default without turning on any battery saver feature ) and slept so very well. How did LG manage to do all this and acheive excellence is beyond belief. So much so that this phone has beaten Galaxy Note 3 in Phoneareans battery power test and has been declared the longest lasting top-shelf smartphone they ever tested. Please note that Note 3 ( 3200 mAh ) has a bigger battery as compared to the G2 ( 3000 mAh ) and still G2 managed to beat it. I am not going to into technical details here as it will confuse most people. Long story short G2 has the best battery life then any Android smartphone available in the UK ( Oppo N1 is the only other phone i know has bettered this result but its not officially available in the UK). Personally speaking i have never owned a modern smartphone with this kind of mind boggling and out of this world battery life and this my friends is the second of the two favourite killer features on this phone which made me buy the LG G2. I am married to the battery life of this phone and not looking to divorce it anytime soon.

Its not possible to discuss every single aspect of the phone specially the feautures. I have tried to keep everything as simple as possible to help people of all age groups. If you have any questions about the review or the phone then please feel free to contact me and i will try my best to answer your questions to the best of my abilities. I am a seasoned Android user and i am sure you can benefit from my knowledge and use it to your advantage. I will update this review once the updates start hitting the phone.Thanks
very much for taking the time to read my review.

Update 03 April 2014:
I received two minor updates in the last couple of days. One was approximately 50MB and the other around 20MB. Both updates were related to unnamed apps & I couldn't work out which apps got updated( updates never mentioned which apps ).But from my experience over the years with different phones I can tell that LG are optimising the core basic operating system apps before they launch the KitKat 4.4.2 update on the G2. It's a new approach I have seen with many vendors where they tend to update apps separately from the Operating system to reduce the upgrade times. I am also hearing and reading from various sources that KitKat is available on some network phones in the UK. It is supposed to be officially available in the UK but nothing on my sim free G2 so far.Anyways as soon as I receive KitKat I will update my review once again and let you guys know what's going on. Thanks

Update 14 April 2014:
Finally the much awaited KitKat 4.4.2 update came up on my phone a couple of days ago. I am happy to report that there is significant difference in the general speed of the phone. Its much more snappier then before and has been optimized further to give users a very pleasant experience. Battery life hasnt been effected and still lasts long just like before. Snapdragon 800 is still a very powerful processor and should be able to handle even future updates with ease. Longevity of the phone is not questionable at all from what i can see. LG have made hell of a phone and i am not looking to divorce it anytime soon. Infact battery life on this phone has made me respect LG for the kind of work they have done and i might even get the G3 once its released. To my surprise Knock-Code ( the new name for the advanced version of Knock-ON ) wasnt included in the update. The recent press releases from LG are positive and they will include Knock-Code in a future update very soon. Like always please ask me any questions that you may have and i will be more then happy to help. Thanks

Update 07 May 2014:
Received 22.01 MB update on my G2 little while ago. Was very curious to find out what it was ( suspected Knock-Code ) as it just stated enhancement to apps. After the update I found out that it indeed was Knock-Code which LG had promised like I said before. Just tested it & it works brilliantly. I have to admit that LG are making an impression here on me. I always wondered if there was a brand other then HTC which could give us customers a quality product ( after getting fed up with Galaxy phones cuz of bloatware & loads of issues with Touchwiz ). I always keep two phones & I think with timely updates + superb solid performance + exceptional battery life = the formula I was after. I am literally sold & seriously considering LG as my preferred brand over Samsung. I know you all are thinking about the old LG ( I have been there trust me ) but if this is the way they gonna come out then they can take my money any day. G3 ,G Smartwatch & much more ....Bring it on LG :-)

Update 25 September 2014:
Received a new update (105.87 MB) few days back. Logs of the update didn't inform me of any changes and I ended up installing the update anyway. Battery life and performance doesn't seem to be effected. The phones continues to get regular updates from LG and still has strong specs for the money. Couldn't be anymore happier with the G2 and it's masterful performance specially the phenomenal battery life. Keep up the good work LG and it's great to see this phone still ranked among the very best. Price tag just kills all the rivals in this category :-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 81-90 of 116 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2014 21:58:02 BDT
You should go for the G3 I think. Why cuz

1. LG will be officially selling it and it def will be compatible with 4G LTE services.
2. You will be covered under standard manufacturer warranty
3. Initially 16GB version with 2GB RAM will be the most widely available version. Performance wise shouldn't be much of a problem as it's optimised with 2GB RAM anyways. 2GB RAM is more then enough from my experience even for the heaviest of users.
4. Launch price is very attractive meaning that most probably contract prices are gonna be low as well ( already I have seen some networks offering great prices with minimal upfront cost )

If I was you I would go for the G3 as it's the latest & future proof with that Quad HD screen

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2014 22:00:36 BDT
J. Choudhry says:
By the way there is offer on Carphonewarehouse at the moment. If you preorder the G3 from them ( £475 ) they will offer you the official G3 circle case with it for free.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2014 22:25:31 BDT
KP says:
Thanks, but looks like carphone warehouse quiccircle case is only for the pay monthly contracts.
The amazon.de deal is very tempting for 32gb phone 599.99 euros plus free wireless charger.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2014 22:32:17 BDT
J. Choudhry says:
No it's not. My colleague pre ordered his G3 on cash ( on my recommendation ) and he received the email from them which he copied me on whtsapp to let me know. Circle case is available on all purchases.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2014 22:38:50 BDT
J. Choudhry says:
The deal for the 32GB model for 599 Euros is indeed very tempting .

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2014 22:42:17 BDT
KP says:
plus the free wireless charger.. looks great..

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2014 19:56:49 BDT
KP says:
The oppo find 7 is on pre-order too.
What do you think mate? is it good over the LG G3.. around 150 pounds cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2014 23:26:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2014 23:28:30 BDT
J. Choudhry says:
I will reserve my judgements for the Find 7 for now as most reviews are mostly for Find 7a. The battery on the 7a is not quiet as good as on the G3 or even the mighty G2. There was a recent update released ( 290 MB) on the 7a which apart from adding many more features is also suppose to improve the battery on the 7a ( specially standby times). The saving is Def there no question about it but I think both G2 & G3 have a better battery life then both the Oppos. Options like Oneplus One are also there but honestly I am not sure about the reliability & longevity of the Chinese brands. I personally would spend a bit more & go for the G3 instead. May be at some point I might give Oppo, Oneplus One & Xiamoi a chance but not right now when LG is really peaking and showing us what they are capable of.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2014 11:13:04 BDT
Thanks mate.
Ive just seen a comparison review on gsmarena on lg g3 and s5.. says lg g3 not that great..

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2014 13:00:48 BDT
J. Choudhry says:
I read the same article a few days back & it didn't quite said that KP. It rather said this at the end

" The gamble that LG took with the G3 this could ultimately end up paying off, but past trends indicate that the Samsung has responded well to challenges from its rivals. But until that time comes, the unmatched screen, the excellent camera, and compelling design make the G3 a tough one to beat, despite its shortcomings. The Korean derby will only be getting more interesting to watch. That's for sure. Not everyone will end up choosing a side - but many will be tempted."

Now now how come it doesn't match your verdict ? :D

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (221 customer reviews)

£489.00 £246.92
Reviewer

J. Choudhry
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: London