1.0 out of 5 stars Fail of the epic variety, 6 Dec 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
The game itself, apart from a couple of bugs (which will be worked out with patches!) is actually fine. Driving is a bit different than in the old GTA games. Other than the bugs (haven't encountered a single one, btw), it's fine. Somewhat.

However, there is one MAJOR thing that makes me recommend NOT to buy this game:

In order to save your progress you MUST sign into Windows LIVE. So, in order to save your game, you are forced to be online and to use a third party application! This is absolutely unacceptable and pure and utter garbage. I don't want LIVE, I don't need LIVE. I don't care about achievements. I only want to save the game! If you're playing the game offline, you can't save your progress. You are forced to go online and to sign up/into Windows LIVE. Absolutely ridiculous.

Now, when I decided not to save my progress and return to the game from the save menu... it wouldn't let me. Instead it started to lead me in circles through the "do you want to save" "you must be signed into Windows LIVE to save" "do you want to continue without saving" over and over again.

BTW, Windows LIVE also installs itself when you're installing the game. That's worse than any DRM (without DRM I can, at least, save the progress I've made in the game, without LIVE I can't do it in GTA4). And if you don't want/don't need LIVE, then you can't play the game without having to start over whenever you leave it (cause you can't save without LIVE).

And to think that Rockstar Games once made great things like Max Payne. Shame on them.

Windows LIVE has to go.

I've uninstalled the game and it will go back asap. I want my money back.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Dec 2008 17:49:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2008 17:50:07 GMT
M. Garth says:
Correct. I like the game and it works fine on my machine. BUT Windows Live MUST go. DRM is bad enough, but this is a step too far.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2008 18:55:11 GMT
If you have a "offline account" then you don't need to go online. funny that.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2009 00:23:58 GMT
but you'd still need to sign up and create an account, right?

I bought Viva Pinata for the PC and it was windows live. It would NOT allow me to save unless I went online EVERY time I wanted to save.

If this is the same with GTAIV, that it needs to go. There's no need for it other than for Microsoft to take advantage of gamers.

Posted on 16 Feb 2009 14:45:16 GMT
S. wood says:
"but you'd still need to sign up and create an account, right?" WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!

you need a NAME for your 'offline profile' and THAT IS ALL

It's disgusting that so many factually incorrect comments are allowed to stand.

BTW this game rocks

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2012 17:59:57 GMT
Jonny Riley says:
Yeah, if you bothered to scroll down on that paragraph when you tried to create an account you'll see the option for offline registration.

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 13:59:09 BDT
Message to Rockstar.
DRM & Mandatory Windows live has just cost you a sale!
I have just reinstalled GTA Vice City on my PC and thought I would buy the latest game. After reading this and a few other reviews I wont be bothering.
Stop being so greedy and controlling, a lot of people just want to play the game. If you and others like you carry on like this we will all find something else to do!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2013 11:23:43 GMT
GregOFF says:
Same here, reading all these comments I decided to not to buy this game. Actually now it seems to me installing the original version is too troublesome. Anyway I came here to buy but after that I am not even bothering to play this...Forcing gamers to install Windows LIVE, rockstar club, troublesome drm? Put your marketing people on leash Rockstar, give a life...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.8 out of 5 stars (351 customer reviews)

34.99 10.98