4.0 out of 5 stars Deceiving product picture but good price at the moment, 5 Nov 2011
This review is from: HP CN684EE#301 - INK CARTRIDGE NO 364 XL - BLACK BLISTER (Office Product)
Hi,

I am writing this review to clarify something about this cartridge model as the photo is a bit deceiving so I have done some research to avoid doing the same mistake in the future or at least confirm I know what I am buying.

1. It is not the same size as in the picture, it is half the width, similar to the normal cartridge but with more ink. In fairness to whoever is selling this cartdrige with the wrong picture, the HP website also shows this picture.

2. It does say XL in the box and on the cartdrige but this model is the CN684EE ABB (550 pages) that replaced the original XL high capacity (big cartridge, 800 pages) model CB321EE, which funny enough some sites show with a small picture just to make it even more confusing :).

3. I found one of those refurbished ink sellers answering a lot of questions about this cartridge,[...]
or just search somewhere for "New Smaller Body for HP 178, 364, 564, and 862 Black XL Ink Cartridges" to get the HP official version and to understand more about the changes.

4.Very hard to find how many ml this CN684EE has, one site said it was 12ml. The original XL CB321EE seems to have 18ml and many refurbished cartdriges also have 18ml. I have bought one 18ml refurbished cartridge previously and it did really felt that it run for a long time compared to previous HP cartridges so from now on I will be looking for 18ml versions and test around different manufacturers until I find the "best".

I did not give it 5 stars because of the picture (it led me to think it was the bigger model, I guess too good of a price to be true) but gave it 4 because it is still an official HP XL cartridge, arrived fast and in a good condition with original packaging, the price at the moment was better compared to other sites but it would be nice to if the page had extra details explaining more about the ink and if the photo was accurate.

Hope it helps.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jun 2012 12:26:21 BDT
Cacher says:
Useful info on obscure subject.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 13:24:12 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 24 Jun 2012 13:49:37 BDT]

Posted on 27 Oct 2012 12:03:12 BDT
chappy says:
I totally agree that both HP and the retailers have not been honest about their description of 364XL Black. If the printer is capable of accomodating the larger CB321EE cartridge, it should be available to purchase. It's a bit like the 'shrinking Mars Bar - It costs more but you get less. Personally, I have stuck with HP for the colour cartridges but I have been using refurbished (and chipped) cartridges for the regular black ink.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012 17:39:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2012 17:39:48 GMT
Please tell me what you mean by "chipped" cartridges?! I have a H.P. 3050A and the printer works but the Photocopier tells me it does not detect a computer!! An 'expert' has just told me that it could well be the cartridge I was using which was (according to H.P. 'Counterfeit' and he suggested I tried another cartridge make because this often gets the thing sorted! So I went off to get some cheap ones from a reputable shop and they do not have ANY substitutes for this printer and could only offer me the originals which were very expensive. She said that they did not sell the others because H.P. have a CHIP on them. So, if I get the H.P one that is sold cheaper but is genuine will that mean it is 'Chipped' and will, therefore work?! Harrietbell.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012 23:13:10 GMT
Hi Harrietbelle,
Manufacturers use a computer chip in the print cartridges to tell the printer if the cartridge is new and original (just a way to try to force us to buy their products). If you buy refurbished cartridges they need to be chipped otherwise the printer will not accept them. If you buy original HP cartridges you do not have to worry about that. Although I would not rule out a function of the printer not working due to non-original components in your case it is very unlikely.
It is more likely a connection issue or drivers. I could help you but you don't provide any details. How are you connecting to the PC, USB, network, Wi-Fi, etc.? Can you use the photocopier directly from the printer, i.e. using the buttons or menu on the printer itself? If you can't then it is most likely a printer hardware issue, if you can then I would suggest things like:
1. Update the printer drivers (download the most up to date software for your printer from HP).
2. If connecting using USB change the port you connect it to in the computer, connect the printer directly to the computer do not use those USB port extenders.

Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2012 16:11:07 GMT
KT says:
Hi, Does anyone know the difference between the two black inks in a photosmart 7510, one has a 2 traingle symbol facing each other and the other a kind of hexagon block. I have received the hexagon block one with this order when I really needed the 2 triangle version. I have a HP Photosmart 7510. Do you know how I get the other one and make sure it is the right one?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2012 19:03:03 GMT
Thank-you for your helpful reply Redleh. I have sorted the problem by buying (Reduce priced) H.P. cartridges from Amazon and as soon as I put them in the printer and copier worked without a problem! It really annoys me that 'they' can dictate to us like this, but I would rather just find a reasonable priced cartridge that works than have a printer that isn't working efficiently. I also read that they all get their money back somewhere either by putting the price on the Printer in the first place, or later on the cartridges. I guess it is the competitive world in which we live and apart from going back to pen and paper there isn't much we can do in this case!
Harrietbelle

Posted on 4 Jan 2013 18:45:49 GMT
jenchris40 says:
Can you confirm that it fits the wider black ink bay in the printer?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2013 20:05:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jan 2013 20:06:13 GMT
Redleh says:
Hi, originally HP used to make a wider (with more ink) version of the cartridge but now they only have the smaller version. The smaller cartridge has 2 versions, the standard and the XL, size is the same the XL has more ink.
It does fit, as long as you buy the right model. You just have to center the cartridge on the slot so that he makes proper contact (it is easy). I buy the "364" model and it is fine, I know there is another model that works with this printer but I do not remember the model number.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2013 20:17:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jan 2013 20:21:10 GMT
Redleh says:
"kind of hexagon block" = pentagon = standard black ink.
2 triangle symbol facing each other = photo black. You only need the photo black if your printer has an additional slot for the photo black or if it allows to insert the photo black cartdrige on the standard black ink slot so that you can print photos with better quality. You need to check the manual of your printer or check with HP (if you do not have an additional slot just for the photo black) to find out if you can use a photo black on the standard black slot.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›