1.0 out of 5 stars This book won't help improve you...it will bring you down, 16 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Game: Undercover in the Secret Society of Pickup Artists (Paperback)
So, usually the amazon ratings are so accurate, with such a high rating I truly believed this would be a great read...how I was disappointed.

The book encourages men to look at women as "targets", what do they think they are, an animal to be hunted and shot? The book will encourage you to become a robot, act unnaturally, lie, deceive and put women down ("neg") just to get them into bed. Many other reviews say "Oh, well it will help you with confidence...", but there is a problem with the way it does this. It encourages you to not act naturally, memorize lines, deceive and act in any way possible to get the "target". It instills bad habits into you! How can you have a healthy relationship with a woman if you think this way? It's built on a foundation of lies, think about it, do you like it if your friends lie, trick and deceive you? Do these kind of friendships last long?

The characters Mystery (suicidal maniac), Tyler Durden (Psychopathic), Ross Jeffries (Confused with a child's mindset) and many of the other PUA's are clearly unstable, incomplete people with many of their own problems which they aren't able to overcome, their overall lifestyle is incomplete and they clearly aren't successful in their life overall.

A particularly disturbing part was on page 350 "If a woman has been married three years or more, you come to learn that she's usually easier to sleep with than a single woman", and Mr Strauss wants to be a father one day (and presumably get married). I wonder how his relationship will last with that kind of mindset. Are you the kind of guy who believes all women are like this? The book portrays all women to be sluts, who if you persist and use enough tricks you can get into bed. Now, think about it, is this realistic? Are your mother, sister, auntie, grandmother, cousins all like this? Have all women lost their values and morals? Are they all just sluts who should be manipulated and used? I would be utterly depressed if I believed this, I believe there are good women out there, and if you want to attract them you have to work on yourself to become a man who would appeal to her.

I will finish my post on how I think you could attract a beautiful woman (inside and out), into your life:

1. Fix yourself up, get a fashionable haircut (check magazines if you don't know), wear better clothes (again ask women with style or check magazines), look after your appearance in general (shower regularly and don't look scruffy).
2. Join the gym and get healthy (you don't have to be the next Arnold, but if you are overweight or too skinny, being a healthy weight is more attractive).
3. Join clubs and take courses to meet new people. (Examples include: dance classes, art classes, fitness classes, yoga classes etc). This will allow you to meet more people and improve your social skills.
4. Read books that actually improve your life! Self-help books on confidence, social skills, success, wealth, health and many more!

Improving yourself in this natural way, will not only attract better women to you, but also better quality friends,you will be happier overall! Once you start doing all these things you yourself will grow and naturally become a more attractive person...Hope this review helped and was useful (although I'm sure I'll get some stick for it, but I'll be happy if it even just helps one guy).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Sep 2014 09:45:45 BDT
Haven't read the book yet - but isn't this supposed to be a self-help book - a category that you yourself suggest reading?

Fact is the "become a better person" as you suggest doesn't help at all, or only at the margin at best.

Women reject men just out of principal and usually with the utmost contempt. I guess people look for this kind of self-help to find at least a little bit of equality back...

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2014 16:48:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Sep 2014 16:50:19 BDT
emeralda says:
I think you're taking this training way too seriously. This is a game, and it doesnt matter IMO if a bit of flirting involves learning lines (and therefore 'deception') - who cares, if it teaches the man how to get to the next level where he has a chance of forming a happy, genuine relationship? As a woman myself, I don't find this Game in the least demeaning or mysogyinistic, we appreciate it can be really hard for a man to connect with someone to go out with, and lots of men get extremely depressed at their lack of success. This is not easy, so I for one celebrate the fact that someone has come up with a formula that helps men succeed, and in a fun way!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2015 16:48:33 BDT
Alex says:
Sorry for my late response. The book is a mix between a story and a self-help book. The problem is, the way a guy is supposed to "help" himself is not in the best manner, to put it lightly. Misconceived paradigms develop, and I believe this can have a negative impact on the way guys who follow the advice, live their life.

I believe the become a better person principle does help, people are attracted to personality and characteristics. Become an interesting person and woman will find you more attractive, stay in good shape and you are on the road to success.

I feel you have had negative experiences with women. I do totally understand where you are coming from, I've been brushed off by women myself, but I would encourage you to try to improve yourself and see what you can make of it. It takes effort, but the results may surprise you!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2015 17:01:57 BDT
Alex says:
Sorry for my late response. I understand where you are coming from, but do not agree. I do not believe this is just a game, it can have serious negative consequences on all parties involved. Men who grow into the habit of seeing women as targets and something to be used, is no laughing matter to me. Women are also very negatively affected, as they have been poorly mistreated, who enjoys that?

I understand what you say about learning lines, but unfortunately it goes beyond that, they are teaching men to act artificially, which means not be themselves. The idea of a "neg", a way of putting someone down to make them feel vulnerable so you can exploit them is not an idea that sits well with me. How can a happy, genuine relationship stem from that? I appreciate you don't find the game demeaning or mysogynistic, however I feel many other women may feel differently.

Of course it can be very difficult for men to connect to women, but teaching them ways to be someone who they are not, just to get into bed with the person, is not a positive thing, from my perspective. I feel you think this game will lead to many guys entering relationships, and ultimately having success. From the book, we see many of the experts of picking up girls struggle majorly in their own relationship endeavors.

I don't believe good things come for guys who follow the methods of the book, in the long term.

Posted on 1 May 2016 20:55:34 BDT
I think if you are a bit of a geek or misfit and ugly no matter what books you read won't make women want you but winning the lottery will!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2016 12:10:38 BDT
Alex says:
If you are a bit of a geek that's absolutely fine! There are many women who are geeks themselves and many who like geeks (what's wrong with being smart?)
You can call someome a misfit, or simply an acquired taste. Although the 'misfit' won't appeal to most women, if he gets around women who have similar interests, he has a great chance to get into a relationship.
Being ugly, again a lot can be done about that. For example going to the gym to get in shape, checking magazines to wear fashionable clothes, getting a nice haircut. If a man is still so extremely unhappy after doing all these things, and simply can't bear the way he looks, plastic surgery is always a last resort.
Winning the lottery, is wishful thinking. Why not read the books on business, finance and investment that will make you all that money (and more)? Sure it takes a hell of a long time longer, but your chances of success are much, much higher!

Posted on 8 May 2016 08:41:59 BDT
Theo says:
Karl, I have one piece of advice for geek men (actually, it's good for all men, but geeks are especially prone to doing it): don't demand women "prove" their credentials. I'm a gamer, have been since the days of the NES. It doesn't mean I'm going to give the correct answers to a cross examination about games and when I don't, it doesn't mean I'm not a gamer.

Which can be basically summed up as: don't be dismissive of women. Don't treat them like the enemy (if somebody walks up to you with the attitude that you're not going to like them, how does that effect you?). Don't treat them like a hive mind, either. We're not all after your money.

Srsly, good personal hygine and not being a jerk goes an awful long way. Everything else is negotiable.

Posted on 8 May 2016 22:06:45 BDT
I just want to give a big fat AMEN to what Theo said. Just so spot on.

Posted on 8 May 2016 22:50:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 May 2016 11:11:17 BDT
I started off thinking I liked your review, and certainly I deplore the whole PUA and manipulation, but you seem to equate women having a lot of sex as being without morals and values, as 'sluts', definitly not like the women you know. And possibly that if they are 'sluts' its okay to manipulate and use them?
Also by implication these 'sluts' are not good women and there are "better women" out there. I don't know if you use that word because the book uses it to refer to women, I hope so. I hope this is a case of not thinking through the implications of what you say (which we all do at times) but this certainly feels like slut-shaming to me.

p.s. in regards to your earlier reply to Emeralda, I agree, as a woman I find this stuff deeply disturbing and misogynistic.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2016 23:09:11 BDT
Theo, as a female gamer too, I so agree with your comment!

I would also like to add this advice for some guys - don't be like Marvin the Paranoid Android. If you are permanently feeling aggrieved, constantly negative about everything and/or feeling sorry for yourself then often people won't want to be around you.

It can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, you assume girls won't be interested, either blaming them or yourself, and then they aren't because few people want to spend a lot of time with someone who always sees the worst.

Also very few people are genuinely constantly hard-done-by, so if you find yourself complaining/ranting every day that the world is unfair or others are, then you might need to take a look at your own attitude.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›