5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody brilliant book, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Ten Principles Behind Great Customer Experiences (Financial Times Series) (Paperback)
This book has made me think in a different way about everything I do, and has inspired me to be more rigorous about how I approach design, both at work and at home.

I find business books extremely hard going for the most part - stodgy, jargon-filled and full of diagrams that have me glazing over at first glance. There's none of that here. It's easy to read, full of excellent examples and is inspiring in a way that really is as accessible as the back cover makes out.

I've shown snippets to doubting friends who could have sworn I was on commission, and have enjoyed hearing back later that they'd ordered a copy for themselves. I hope it finds its way into design (and marketing, and sales, and support, and management - you get the picture!) departments everywhere.

Books and courses approaching these topics generally feel unsuitable for those unable to implement every single one of their recommendations. Following just a single principle from this book would yield massive improvements, and it'd be entirely possible to move slowly towards making use of them all as they get more and more second nature. I think that's really exciting - bite off as much or as little as you can manage and you'll see changes for the better.

Things I'd change (hey, it's a design book!):
- the typeface. The book's content is excellent, but it would have benefited from a more polished presentation. Sans serif doesn't work nearly as well for me in print, especially not for something of this length;
- the gutters down the centre of the book were too narrow for my taste. I needed to pry it open more than expected to get each line's extremities.

Neither detracted substantially from what I think is one of the most important books I've ever read. It covers design, business, psychology and more, and does so in fascinating, accessible fashion.

I'll be reading and re-reading this book, and will continue to sing its praises to friends and colleagues. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't learn something useful here.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]