5.0 out of 5 stars Another Live Hendrix Album - Yes Please, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Miami Pop Festival (Audio CD)
There's been so much live Hendrix concert material issued (Lord knows, I've got enough!), so why should you bother with yet another. Well for starters this is another "Hendrix Family" release, and say what you like, the releases that come from them are as clean as possible with the best sound resolution. A previous reviewer liked the sound to a soundboard bootleg, which is far from the truth in my opinion, as you are talking 1968 bootlegs here, and believe me I've heard a few.

The performance here at Miami is first rate with Jimi on top form, it's just a pity that only 2 numbers are included from the afternoon show as a double CD would have been great.

I have given this 5 stars as a live performance of this quality by the greatest rock guitarist ever warrants it, and like I said in a previous review no Hendrix is ever a waste of time! I would imagine that anyone buying this would have Monterey, Woodstock & LA Forum already, three essential gigs, if not buy them as well, or perhaps first.

Packaging is a digipak with a 24 page booklet containing some great photos and an essay by Bob Santelli. If there's any more of this quality in the vault, keep 'em coming is what I say - Long Live Jimi, we will never forget you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Nov 2013 10:18:57 GMT
L J Thomson says:
Which L A Forum? 1969 or 1970? I have 69 and it's nothing special at all with poor sound to boot. I have heard a terrible quality 70 but the performance is much much better. As far as Miami Pop is concerned, Hendrix was never at his best at music festivals as he didn't have the time to set up as he might normally wish and some of the equipment was not his. Apart from Monterey none of the festival performances are that good. I have a boot of Miama and it is a very dull show with nothing to distinguish it from any other Experience show. Just my opinion of course. Now if they ever get around to releasing Royal Albert Hall, then I'd have to agree, and that would be a different thing altogether.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2013 18:44:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Nov 2013 18:52:17 GMT
This is the LA Forum concert I refer to, The L.A. Forum Concert, which was a gig Jimi wanted to release as a live album. As for the Albert Hall, do you mean this one the last experience which is now quite expenaive to buy, the gig date is 24.2.69 with some extras - it's good if you can get/afford a copy.
I can't agree about his festival performances, but I know we all have our favourites as being a Deadhead, their live performances are always a question of debate.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2013 09:47:34 GMT
L J Thomson says:
The LA Forum the link takes you to is the 1969 show. I wonder why he wanted to release that? Have you heard the 1970 LA Forum show? It was with The Cry Of Love band and for my money is his best post-69 show. Shame about the sound quality. The 24th February is the RAH show I was referring to. That Charly bootleg is not the best release of the show though. There have been other better releases since 2001 and much cheaper. The Charly release contains some rough rehearsals and an audience recording of the 18th show. Jimi was not satisfied with this show and that is why he played / recorded RAH again on 24th.

Posted on 15 Nov 2013 13:51:20 GMT
Mook says:
Just a little note, I wasn't referring to 1968 era soundboard bootlegs in my review, I perhaps could have made this a little clearer. Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2013 20:13:57 GMT
You must mean the one with the "Coke" cover. At the end of the day reviews are bound to be subjective, and it what appeals to the listener. The RAH gig on Charly sounds crystal clear to me, albeit a bit of a "cold" recording. I do not consider it a boot as it was released on an official label. Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2013 20:15:19 GMT
Apology for any confusion Mook :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2013 09:30:21 GMT
L J Thomson says:
"I do not consider it a boot as it was released on an official label. Cheers."

It might have been an "official label" but Charly had no more rights to the material than you have. This is why Experience Hendrix has been in litigation over this for so long.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2013 16:32:49 GMT
Experience Hendrix are not the only people with rights to his recordings as far as I am aware, but they sue everyone in sight that issues his material.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2013 11:35:19 GMT
Re the sound quality of the 1969 LA Forum show, I have a semi legal release on Purple Haze which sounds just fine for the time, as a bonus you get a pretty dismal recording of the 1970 Fehmarn show, Jimi's last official concert.

The 1970 LA show is a great concert but even with the 'merge' releases it's fair at best.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2013 15:11:08 GMT